Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmfreedom

'What is the Most-Disease-Resistant-Tomato ? '

farmfreedom
14 years ago

"What is the Most-Disease-Resistant-Tomato?" Is there any that are resistant to everything bad? I have heard Celebrity, Floramerica , are the most resistant and Sampson 1 is the only one that is resistant to black root rot .If I wanted to breed a tomato that IS the Most-Disease-Resistant-Tomato POSSIBLE , what is the SHORTEST complete list of all THE STRAINS I WOULD NEED TO USE TO BREED IT ? You may wish to check the "hybridizing forum" also .

Comments (7)

• californian
    14 years ago

Peron is touted by some as the most disease and insect resistant tomato, while others say it is just hype. But anyway I ordered some Peron seeds and will test it in my garden this year, I will let you know if there was anything noticeable in about four months from now.

• mulio
    14 years ago

The material that has come or is coming out of Florida and NC State probably offer some of the more "complete" diseases packages available.

Plum Regal
    Mountain Magic
    Floralina

The Florida lines are linked below

also commercial lines like
    BHN 640

have lots of disease resistance

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida lines

• farmfreedom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do any list all the resistances that each strain has ? "Floramerica " has 17 different ones I am told .

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Don't know of any tomato cultivar that is bullet proof. Some have resistance/tolerance to multiple common diseases. Others are designed for specific diseases that plague certain areas. The above mentioned hybrid Floramerica has resistance/tolerance ( does not mean that they are immune just that they hold out longer than other cultivars)to fusarium wilt races 1 and 2, gray leaf spot, Cladosporium leaf mold,and alternaria stem canker. The latter three are not common. A major problem in the south east is Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus There are now two-three dozen cultivars with resistance to this. One just beginning to show on resistant/tolerance chart is Yellow Leaf Curl virus. Fusarium wilt, verticillium wilt and RK nematodes have been problems for a long time so many of the older commercial OP's have this resistance/tolerance Usually noted as VFN. Unfortunately races of Fusarium have been identified, so many recent introductions will specify F1,2,or 3.

• fusion_power
    14 years ago

The basic problem comes down to stacking genes for tolerance into a single plant. Early Blight, Late Blight, Septoria, Verticillium, Fusarium, Nematodes, Tomato yellow leaf curl virus, Tomato mottle virus, Tomato Spotted wilt virus, Bacterial Speck, Bacterial Spot, etc, etc, etc, all take a toll on tomatoes. These run the gamut from fungal, bacterial, viral, to microscopic worms. There are tolerance genetics available for most of them, but it can be difficult to combine all of the genes into a single plant. There is a gene for tolerance to Tomato mottle virus for example, but it has proven very difficult to get this gene to cross over in such a way that it can be used in an acceptable tomato line.

As mule said, some of the best disease tolerance genetics are coming from the SouthEast because we have more than our share of disease problems. I am growing Mountain Magic and Plum Regal this year from seed sent by Randy Gardner. They are vigorous and should help a lot for east coast areas that were devastated by late blight in 2009.

DarJones

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountain Magic and Plum Regal

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Darrel, you forgot Smarty F1, also bred by Randy.

I grew MT Magic, Smarty and Plum Regal last summer, sent to me by Randy as thanks, perhaps, for sending him one heck of a lot of OP's for him to use in his continued breeding programs, even though he's now techincally retired.

I first got to know him many years ago when I contacted him about his work with Early BLight tolerance so I could compare what was being done on the same problem by Dr. Zitter at Cornell.

And over the years I've gotten to know him better but no one other than Keith knows him as well. And Randy did send seeds to Keith, which I knew b/c he told me so b'c he wanted his feedback re genetics, etc., who posted some pictures here last year and to a couple of others that I know.

Just so folks know, Smarty F1 is offered by Johnny'sd Selected Seeds as introduced last year.

Bejo Seeds was to introduce and make them available to certain commercial places this year, but seed production in the Netherlands didn't go well, so let's hope for next year.

Last year I was surprised when I got an e-mail from a woman in Geneva, NY who was reading what I had said here at GW about those three varieties. She is with Bejo seeds there and we went back and forth with several e-mails. She told me which commercial places Bejo was thinking of for distribution and I was lobbying for some others that I thought were better than some they had on their lsit. LOL

Anyway, here's what I thought of the three varieties:

Mountain Magic F1, a cherry, was the best for plant vigor, yield and taste.

Smarty F1, a grape tomato I'd rate about the same except for taste, which I thought was just not as good as the above.

Plum Regal F1 I rated last, a plum, yes,and vigor and yield fine, but the walls are very thick, actually the fruits could last for a couple of weeks on my counter, and I was less pleased with taste and flesh consistency.

But to each their own.

I was in the midst of the Late Blight ( P. infestans) epidemic here last year and knowing about it early on I had to choose between possibly no tomatoes or Daconil alternating with Kocide, and I chose the latter, so I can't comment about Late Blight tolerance based on my experience last summer.

The darn summer was so bad, second in a row, that I didn't even get fruits off about half of the plants that were out there, but these three hybrids being discussed did fine.

Carolyn

• farmfreedom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am not breeding a tomato for my area , but one that can grow anywhere and survive anything . Thank you all for your help I is a good start for me . It might be done by me if I live long enough .Or this can inspire someone else if I do not.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals