Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briergardener_gw

Growing seedlings in garage

briergardener_gw
10 years ago

I am growing seedlings for several years, but so far I am doint it in house under lights. I want to grow bigger number of seedlings and want to create station in unheated garage for next year.

Do I need to have some heater in garage or heating mat will be sufficient? I am planning to use shelves with lights, but not sure if i need to add insulation around shelves or not?

Can somebody who is growing seedlings in garage share experience?

I am still planing to put tray on the top of refregirator how i am doing right now till sproats appear and keep them in house before I'll move seedlings into individual containers.

Comments (8)

• garystpaul
    10 years ago

I guess it depends on the ambient temperature in your garage. If you can keep the medium around 70-85ð degrees or so with your heating mat (plus light unit), you'll be fine. One way to increase the temperature of the trays on a mat is to cover them with a thin rectangle of lexan plus layers of newspaper, using as many layers of newspaper as needed to hold the temp where you want it. I usually shoot for about 80ð to 85ð degrees. Remove the newspaper when first sprouts appear.

Gary

• emmers_m
    10 years ago

From what I've read, heating mats should be used for germination only. If your garage is too cool (I'm going through the same thing with my unheated porch right now) you might need the insulation and/or heater.

• gardener_sandy
    10 years ago

I've grown seedlings in my unheated, attached garage for several years. I start them in the house until they have sprouted and then put them on heat mats under lights in the garage. I turn the heat mats off at night if the weather is warm enough, leave them on when it's cold outside.

Success depends on the weather. Last spring was cold and everything was VERY slow to grow until I could start moving them outside during the day. The year before that was warmer and things grew well. This year I have a small space heater to warm the garage up some, not make it hot but just get the chill off when the outside temperature drops. It's working well so far. The garage is not insulated and I don't add any protection around the plants. I'm in Zone 7, near Richmond, VA.

All in all, I like the setup and have had good success with it. I can't grow them inside because my cat eats anything green. I start them in two flats on top of a cabinet in my utility room so he can't get to them but there's not enough light there to grow them on.

Sandy

• seysonn
    10 years ago

You only need heat mat for germination.
    After that you need good lighting. They should grow at temperatures as low as 60F. But certainly 70F is better. The warmer the temperature the taller, the faster they will grow. I, personally avoid temps over 75F.

• briergardener_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have tried wintersowing, but my tomatoes were very late and here in NW summer is not long enough for them to ripe.
    I currently have tomatoes growing inside (around 68 degree) under lights and fan, couple leftovers I have in unheated sunroom. They are alive but not growing.
    I understood that I will need some kind of heater to use garage in productive way.

Thanks to everybody

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Sorry, didn't realize you were that far north. I usually think of zone 7 or even 6 as moderate with fairly long growing season (May-Sept.) The only gardeners I've encountered on the WS forum who can't do tomatoes or peppers by WS have been from zones 4 or 5.

• briergardener_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's not that we are far north, but in Pacific Northwest May and even some years June can be very cold.