Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small tomato seedlings

Posted by tucker46060 none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 15:45

All-

New to seed starting.

I started 48 cells of tomatoes 2 weeks ago today. Using the APS system and the organic seed starting mix from the same retailer.

The seeds started well, and are under 4 x 48" shop lights. However, they seem to have stopped growing ... they have been ~1-1/2" tall now for 4-5 days and don't seem to be doing much.

Temps are 65F or so, they are getting 18h of light and 6h of dark. The mix is compost based, so I have not fertilized yet (bag says don't need to). I am running a fan to strengthen them.

It looks to me from browsing the web that seedlings are usually bigger and usually getting their second set of leaves by this point. Any thoughts? The only thing I can think of is that the APS system gives continuous moisture, which seems to be against lots of stuff I have read. However, the seedlings otherwise seem strong and hardy and have good color.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small tomato seedlings

Yes that particular system gets regularly panned over on the Growing from Seed forum here for just the reason you mention - keeps the plants too wet which can lead to root rot and stunted growth. The system is good for germination, reports say, but no so much for growing on. How much of a problem it is depends in part on which mix you use in the cells.

The recommended solution seems to be to remove the wicking cloth from the water tray once they are watered and let them dry out more before letting it water them again.

Personally when I gave the system a try several years back I found it better to just transplant them out of the APS into normal pots or cups with a good soil-less potting mix in them. The plants took right off again.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here