Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatoes4ever

Best online store to buy from? Indian Stripe, Sweet Pea Currant..

tomatoes4ever
15 years ago

Hi All!

I'm overwhelmed and I'm trying to figure out the best place to buy my seeds from. It would be nice if the pricing is good, but the most important thing is quality of the seeds and selection(so I only have to buy from one place). Suggestions?

I have limited space, but here is my tentative growing list:

(comments welcome)

1 Cherokee Purple (my favorite)

1 Indian Stripe (similar to, but better than CP?)

1 San Marzano or some type of San Marzano variety

1 grape tomato

1 good flavorful red tomato (Probably trying Neves Azorean)

1 Sweet Pea Currant

1 Costoluto Genovese

2 more paste tomatoes (probably Opalka, Amish Paste)

1 oxheart (Maybe Anna's Russian?)

Thanks!!!

Stacy in VA/DC

Comments (14)

• geeboss
    15 years ago

If your only seeking to produce 1 or 2 plants, I can help on the following with my spare seeds. I've got 3 of each as spares.

NAR
    Cherokee Purple
    Indian Stripe
    Opalka
    Oxheart Jeff's Mystery Pink Oxheart,
    Giant Italian Pear
    San Marzano
    Grape Juliet, Black Cherry, Sun Gold, Sprite

I can get these out on Monday to you.

other wise check the following links for seed orders and remember that this is their busy time of year.

George

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Category:Tomato_Seeds
    http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/tomato.html
    http://rareseeds.com/seeds/Tomatoes-Red

• azruss
    15 years ago

Stacy, good luck on finding one online store that has all the varieties you want! I haven't been able to do it yet.

"geeboss" recommended some places that have good reputations, but I haven't purchased from them. I usually find that Tomato Growers and Victory Seeds have most of what I want. I also have had little problem with TomatoFest, but not everyone agrees with me.

I can send you a few (4 or 5) Costoluto Genovese seeds if you shoot me an email. I planted out my CG on January 1 and it's now 4' tall and gorgeous.

Russ in Marana, AZ (former Virginian)

www.tomatogrowers.com
    www.victoryseeds.com
    www.tomatofest.com

• HoosierCheroKee
    15 years ago

You'd better take up folks on any offers of seed since in VA/DC, you should have those seeds in starter cells this week. Any place you order from is gonna take at least 2 and maybe 3 or more weeks to deliver seed this time of year.

• compost_pete-grower
    15 years ago

Tomato growers has provided me with 250+ seed packs and all but one packet grew fine. I still have a 6 yr. old pack of brandywines that germinate 85%!!!

• tomatoes4ever
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eek!!! 2-3 weeks? I wasn't expecting that. Well, just so you know hoosiercherokee, I have already emailed the generous people who offered me seed. So I think I'll be ok this year.

Thanks to anyone that offers me seeds! It's a pleasant and unexpected surprise!

• roper2008
    15 years ago

Heirloom seeds has a good variety. What I
    like about them is they send you smaller
    pkts for a good price ,and the seed is good
    quality also...check them out

• clob
    15 years ago

Is there really a "bad" seed company? I haven't heard of one. I tend to buy from different ones. This year, I think I ordered most from TGS and last year it was Totally Tomatoes. No offense to Totally Tomatoes but I'm one of those random buyers. I order some of my other seeds from Johnny's (or on occasion Park's or Burpee's). I think I decided upon TGS this year because they had a lot of great eggplant varieties I wanted along with the tomatoes I wanted so I could do most of it in one order.

For me, choosing between companies, is pretty random. However, I do really like receiving a catalog right before xmas. I usually have to take a long flight to go back home for the xmas holidays, and reading the seed catalogs are my #1 thing to do on an airplane. That's the time to relax and dog-ear the pages.

• cleo88
    15 years ago

Carolyn posted at one point that she likes Marianne's Seeds, and I ordered at the end of February and I think they came in less than a week.

Sand Hill seems to be one of the slowest - I think they don't have many hands on deck. But they have nice varieties.

Mostly, I think it depends on who has the varieties that you want - not every vendor has every variety of tomato.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marianne's Heirloom Seeds

• tomatoes4ever
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just want to say a big thank you to George, AKA Geeboss. He generously offered me 3 seeds each for a bunch of the varieties I was looking for. It turns out we only live 7 miles from each other! He said he was going to pop them in the mail today but to my surprise he actually delivered them to my door this afternoon! And we had a huge snow storm here last night. Do we give awards on this board for being awesome? If so I'd like to nominate him.

Also, a shout out to AZRUSS.... I really appreciate the Costoluto Genovese.

I still need a 2 more varieties (San Marzano Redorta, and Amish Paste)..... But thanks to George I have the majority of what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Stacy in VA/DC

• tylenol
    15 years ago

I agree, geeboss is a nice guy.

Here is a link that might be useful: George geting back

• tomatoes4ever
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL!

• geeboss
    15 years ago

tomatoes4ever
    The San Marzano included is San Marzano Select Redorte. And yes it did snow and my plants wanted to go back outside but you know youngsters just have to experience the snow so I took them outside and they promptly request that I take them back in and turn up the heat. You can only do what you can do to please the seedlings.

George

• simmran1
    15 years ago

tomatoesforever, Below is a link for Indian Stripe. I personally sow & grow Cherokee Purple every year, and although the yield is low, the ambrosia is high. The trade
    off is worth it at harvest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Stripe source

• dr_tomato
    14 years ago

I have ordered from TomatoTom.com and have never been disapointed.But than again I order a lot from a lot of different places.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Tom