Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting

Posted by DBA1954 6 - Buffalo area (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 16:41

I want to transplant my tomatoes, was wondering If I can clip the cotyledon leaves (I think that's what those first two leaves are) and burry up to the first set of 'real' leaves? Or should I wait till they fall off on their own?

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato plants

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting

You can but you don't have to clip them. Just bury them. Good looking plants you have there.

Dave

o

• Posted by DBA1954 6 - Buffalo area (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 17:49

Thanks Dave, Din't know I could bury them. As for the plants, I got grow lights this year (8 bulb 4 ft T5HO's) and they are making the plants grow too fast. In prior years we would use weak shop lights and place near windows, they would grow slow so we would plant early and ferry them outside any warm day we had. Now I'm stuck with plants that are maturing quickly with 11 or more weeks left till I can place them out. Next year we will not plant as early ... love these lamps.

o

We do a lot of clipping and burying when planting. Any branch that will be underground entirely just gets burried. It's the branches at the soil line that I clip.

You will need to pay attention to both lighting and pot size in a few weeks. My plants are about that size now but I plan to have almost all those in the ground,in tunnels, in 10 days. You may want to start shopping for a few more lights.

o

• Posted by DBA1954 6 - Buffalo area (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 18:35

Interested in the clipping of the branches at the soil line, why is that? btw .. I have a couple of 4 light 6400k T5HO 2ft'ers if I need to supplement the 3 4ft 8 bulb units I have, space is getting tight however ... Thanks all.

o

Branches, leaves or fruit touching the soil are more susepteble to soil contamination diseases. Many of those diseases, once on the lower leaves can grow and more quickly spread up the plant. Plant stems can still be infected but they are less likely because of many factors: surface hairs, available plant sugars, faster drying, etc. You could pinch off leaves but clipping creates a lesser wound.

o

In addition to what others have shared here ... your plants look great! At 5 weeks and with the bits of yellow, you may want to fertilize very, very lightly. This link may help as your re-pot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Re-potting tomato seedlings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here