Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container growers - how do you keep your pots from blowing over?

Posted by tomatotomata 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 17:13

Last year my tomatoes got pretty tall, and then during a storm they fell over. Didn't kill them, but didn't do them any good, either. How do you keep yours upright?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container growers - how do you keep your pots from blowing ov

For those containers sitting on the ground I drive a stake into the ground next to them and tie the container and/or the plant support to that stake. Just like you would a cage in the garden.

For those sitting on the deck they get tied off to the deck rails.

Plus any of my indeterminate variety tomatoes are grown in such large containers that the weight of the container would be difficult to tip over.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave. What size pots do you use for indeterminates? I'm planning to put my in 15-20 gal pots. That better be good enough, cause that's all I got :)

o

For indeterminates I use mostly 15-18 gallon pots plus several made from 50 gallon plastic drums cut in half. Yours should be fine even tho in your zone you may have to water more than I do.

I also have several Earthboxes but I only grow determinates in them. Most tomato plants go into the gardens.

Dave

o

Largest pots I can find, and cement blocks at the four cardinal directions. Only way to tip one over at that point is to lift it out of the blocks first, and if the wind can do that, well lets just say I'll be more worried about where my house landed than my tomatoes. ;)

o

What shape are your containers? If they are tapered in at the bottom, that is the problem.

o

I do cement blocks too. then I set little pots of other plants on top (kind of wedged into) the blocks, like wandering jew, spider plant, etc that hang to hide the blocks. I suppose it would also work to put one gallon pots inside the blocks and plant herbs in there, which would be really cool. Now I'm going to have to try that!

o

Yumtomatoes, I think you found my problem: they are tapered. And Sandy0225 - if you camoflage your blocks, post some pictures.

o

I grow mine in 35 gal garbage cans. Some of the plants have been 16 feet tall and none have ever been blown over (except during hurricanes :)).

o

Hey steve, would love to see a pix of that! (the 16 footers in big trash cans, not the hurricanes!) LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here