Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How tall should cages be for cherry tomatoes?

Posted by plantitup none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 17:28

This year, I'm going to be trying wooden cages for some of my cherry tomatoes. The cages are for my sun gold and black cherry tomatoes. Around how tall should the cages be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How tall should cages be for cherry tomatoes?

Sun Gold is a huge plant, easily 8-10 foot tall depending on if you prune or not but the cages don't have to be that tall. 5-6 foot is normal and the top above that just drapes back down the outside of the cage.

Black Cherry is a avg. 6' tall IME with it.

Dave

o

About 35-40 feet!

o

I use 8' bamboo. You can keep adding them as the plant expands horizontally.

o

plantitup - I don't see that I can send you an email through GW. I am looking for Sungold and Black Cherry seed if you have it. I have multiple beefsteak varieties to trade. Please send me an email if you are interested. Thanks

o

Thanks to all for your replies. I think I'll go with a cage 4-7 feet. 39-40 feet seems a little too high for me. I doubt I'll be able to build something that tall!

ajsmama - Sorry for my late reply. I actually got my seeds from a friend and have just enough to plant myself. Although it would be nice to have some beefsteak toms I don't have enough seeds to trade. Sorry and good luck in finding some elsewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here