Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kimberly Tomato

Posted by Kevinitis Utah (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 17:40

I obtained seeds for a tomato called Kimberly. Its supposed to be an early variety. Anyone have any experience or thoughts for this variety? Productivity, taste, disease resistance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kimberly Tomato

Yes, I've grown it. the listing for it in an SSE Yearbook was overlooked for many years until someone rescued it and relisted it and made it more popular.

Below I linked to Tania's page for it and you can see where she also listed varieties very similar to it and I've grown all of those as well. If you scroll down to see which places are selling seed for it now you'll see that several places are doing so.

My own suggestion for an early would be Moravsky Div, which I like better than all the others mentioned, based on taste primarily.

I can't answer your question about disease tolerance, there is no such think as total resistance, b'c I don't know which diseases you're concerned about in Utah.

And Kimberley is very productive as are almost all early small red round varieties, Moravsky Div included/

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Kimberley

o

o

Yes, I sent it to both places. Mike at Victory mentions my name, but Adam doesn't, and actually no need to. I also sent it for trial to Glenn at Sandhill so it's available there as well, and if I go back to Tania's tomato base site I find that there are other places as well.

Tania hasn't finished updating seed sites for many varieties b'c with over 3000 varieties now having a page it's a huge amount of work.

And as she says it appears to be a strain of Stupice. There was a very long thread elsewhere about it and what it really is, and I think the consensus is that it probably is a strain of Stupice, but many of us like it much better than Stupice.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Moravsky Div

o

Thanks Carolyn, it is really nice to have responses from a true expert, and someone who is on the front lines of introducing new tomato varieties. I'll give her a go this year and see if it does well here in Utah. Its like any variety, some do well in some regions but not in others. I have even experienced seed of the same variety from one source perform different than seed from another source.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here