Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To mist or not to mist?

Posted by daryljurassic OHIO 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 18:29

All my seedlings are doing great. There's a little bit of everthing from artichokes,herbs, flowers and 12 varieties of tomatoes. Everything is in new stryofoam cups w/ Metro mix 360, 24 hr/7 flourescent lights and a 12 hr/day fan. Last week I found... quite possibly the coolest spray bottle in the world. Its a one quart motorized sprayer and mister. (hopefully this one will make it through an entire year...)My question is: Is it okay to mist these tomato plants? They are on their third set of leaves. Since last week, I have been misting them a couple times a day and only when the fan is on. My thought was that it would help strenghten the stems. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To mist or not to mist?

I tend to shy away from misting. Too much humidity can lead to all sorts of problems including damp-off, mold, bacterial diseases, etc. It plus heat is perfect breeding ground for things you don't want on your seedlings. ;)

But then I grow in a greenhouse where the humidity is much higher than it would be in the house so I suppose that if your air is especially dry or you are having problems keep the potting mix properly moist, it might be of some help. Just don't overdue it would be my recommendation - the hazards of too much outweigh any benefits.

As to strengthening the stems - that's what the fan is for. ;)

Dave

o
RE: To mist or not to mist?

I use these "Fog-it" nozzles until about the first true leafs start to show.

Photobucket

After that I move them and use a Dramm 1000PL water breaker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here