Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandshifter

leggy seedlings

sandshifter
11 years ago

This is my first year starting tomatos from seed. I thought it would take a lot longer for the seeds to germinate than it did. I checked after 5 days and by then the seedlings were 3 1/2 to 4 inches tall and leaning in every direction . I am wondering if they will survive this condition and grow into transplantable plants..I am considedring placing them in tall paper cups and filling the sides with more starting mix. Good or bad idea?? I also started another batch of seeds in case my first is a total flop. I am not really a new gardener.....just a dumb one.

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

They will survive but if left as is with a compromised circulatory system and the problems that can lead too.

Best salvage option IMO is to transplant them deeply into a deep container and bury all that stem right up to just below the leaves. That way new roots can develop all along that buried stem and if the right amount of supplemental lighting and the cooler growing temps they need are provided the new growth should be much sturdier with a more normal node length.

Dave

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Sandshifter, at the top of this Forum you'll see a link to the FAQ's ( frequently asked questions) and one of them is starting from seed which I've linked to below. There's a section about leggy seedlings as well.

And there other FAQ's that you might want to look at as well.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Starting from Seed

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

If you have more seeds available, why not start over? In the right conditions, tomato seeds can sprout in 3-4 days. Your seedlings are already compromised. If that's all you have, then bury them more deeply as advised. But new seeds, treated properly from the beginning, will be superior.

• Bets
    11 years ago

Whether you bury the seedlings deeply or start with a new planting, it's an excellent idea to put a fan on them for a part of every day, it will help the stems grow thicker and you'll get a sturdier plant.

My baby maters go under the fans on a timer, 3 hours off with 30 min on during the 14-16 hours that the lights are on (also on timers), within 24 hours of sprouting.

Betsy

• NMAndy
    11 years ago

The great thing about tomatoes is that if you get the stem below the ground surface, roots will form from the stem. I try to repot at least twice before planting in the ground. 1" to 4" to 6" to gallon, each time burying it further. By the time it's planted it's got a large root ball.

• TheNorm
    10 years ago

I joined up for one reason and that is to fix those leggy tomato seedlings for you. Let me explain it this way...

I used to grow my tomatoes from seed all the time and then I got out of the habit for a few years. When I started back my plants would shoot right up and fall over...no matter what I did. It was very frustrating.

I followed every bit of advice I could find and my own good sense and still it was a mess. This went on for three seasons. Grrrr!

Then, I ran across a very simple suggestion and then it all made sense. All that goody goody do this and do that drivel I had been told prior went right into the garbage can.

See, when I used to grow my own plants I had a grow light. When I started back I did not. That was the answer.

Assuming you aren't doing something with your seeds that is off the charts, to get straight growing seedlings, all you have to do is to put a light right on top of them as soon as they pop up out of the pot. That's all.

A grow light is good. Short of that, a one or two bulb florescent is just fine. Put the light as close as you can to the new growth and keep it that way as they mature. Move them into the sun as fast as you can.

I don't care how bright it is in the house. You got to get the light right down on top of the seedlings to get their attention.

Follow this and you too will be what they call a "happy gardener" for sure!

• flo9
    10 years ago

It isn't always a light factor regardless what type and how close it is... sometimes it's the soil and/or lack of nutrients they need. Sometimes it's just the seed itself that isn't as great as the others even if they all came from the same fruit.

And like some mentioned... fans and burying the stringy stem works. All plants need fans for stronger roots, preventing mold and to help them not be as shocked once outside.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm