Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Finding: Wild Galapagos Island Tomatoes

Posted by dalmation1080 none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 18:47

After watching these two youtube videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw-VW9B_6Qk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNTqdsTmlPw
I would realy like to try to find some of these "Wild" Galapagos Island Tomatoes. Although, I seem to be hitting a dead end. The variety Trade Winds sells doesnt look exactly like his, so im wondering if possible he has a slightly different type than the one they are offering.
Then while googling, I found a few other sellers, but the seeds they were offering were for red fruit.

I was just wondering if any of you garden-webbers might know where to get any of these guys or have seeds to share? Thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Finding: Wild Galapagos Island Tomatoes

Per the previous discussions here about them there are supposedly 2 different color subsets - red called Sara's Galapagos - (Lycopersicon lycopersicum) and a yellow/orange called Wild Galapagos - (Solanum cheesmaniae). Google pulls up seed sources for both by name.

Without going to watch the video I don't know which the guy is growing and he may not even know and be calling them 'Wild' when they are really Sara's. So just order the seeds by the color you want.

Dave

o

In the SSE Yearbooks there are listed many accessions of so called wild varieties, from Peru, the Phillipines and also from the different islands of the Galapagos.

Of the Galapagos ones almost all are typical wee fruited currant ones, Solanum lycopersicon, and then the one Dave mentioned, the only yellow one, cheesmaniii which is the salt tolerant one and quite frankly does not taste good at all. I've grown it,,

So if you want just a red currant one, they are available at almost every website, and seed sources are given for Sara's Galapagos in the link below.

Carolyn, just noting that while she fell a week ago last Thursday, the EMT's saw no breaks, vitals were fine, but the next day pain got much worse, couldn't even lift the walker, so another trip via ambulance to the ER last Thursday, no breaks, serious contusions, finally got some serious pain pills and muscle relactant pills and is not supposed to be here at the computer without someone being here, but here I am anyway, and now back to bed. Still pain when sitting here,

Here is a link that might be useful: Sara's Galapagos

o

I don't want the Sara's red. I want the wild yellow variety.

o

I spent quite a bit of time at Tania's superb website looking for a source for you of L. cheesmanii and found it at Sandhill Preservation in the 2014 catalog and website altho I didn't bother to go to the website, link below and is listed under cherry tomatoes as Cheesmans, then more explicitly as L, cheesemanii,

Glenn at Sandhill thinks more highly of it than I indicated above as you can see from his description,.

No baskets there,no ordering by e-mail or phone, just follow the directions and send your money and request in an envelope.

He lists over 400 tomato varieties and almost every crop you might be thinking of, so look around and see what else you might want.

That way it defrays the minimal amout of postage asked for.

Seed counts are generous and no tomato seeds sent are over two years old which is quite unique.

And yes, I know Glenn and Linda very well and have for many years.

They are a PRESERVATION center so no basket shopping, etc. Take a look at the heirloom poultry as well, I actually get a kick reading about the birdies.

Glenn has a full time teaching job as well.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: L.cheesemanii

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 17:53

As I said above - Google lists several sources for the seeds.

UnderwoodGardens.com
twiningvinegarden.com
tradewindsfruit.com

are 3 of the listed sources for seeds that I found.

Dave

Carolyn - I told you you shouldn't be playing tennis in the living room unless you moved the couch and rolled up the rugs! :)

This post was edited by digdirt on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 18:47

o

Carolyn I hope you feel better soon and don't overdo.

o

Carolyn - I told you you shouldn't be playing tennis in the living room unless you moved the couch and rolled up the rugs! :)

$$$$$$

Not to worry Dave since right now I'm not even allowed in my living room, a step down from the rest of my home, so the tournament right now in Indian Wells, CA is being played without me.

But I can follow the scores on the net, which I know will make you feel much better about my obsession with tennis. LOL

Carolyn, waiting patiently for another foot of snow starting today . Good thing that I have plenty of dark bittersweet chocolate on hand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here