Houzz Logo Print
dalmation1080

Help Finding: Wild Galapagos Island Tomatoes

dalmation1080
10 years ago

After watching these two youtube videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw-VW9B_6Qk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNTqdsTmlPw
I would realy like to try to find some of these "Wild" Galapagos Island Tomatoes. Although, I seem to be hitting a dead end. The variety Trade Winds sells doesnt look exactly like his, so im wondering if possible he has a slightly different type than the one they are offering.
Then while googling, I found a few other sellers, but the seeds they were offering were for red fruit.

I was just wondering if any of you garden-webbers might know where to get any of these guys or have seeds to share? Thanks :)

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Per the previous discussions here about them there are supposedly 2 different color subsets - red called Sara's Galapagos - (Lycopersicon lycopersicum) and a yellow/orange called Wild Galapagos - (Solanum cheesmaniae). Google pulls up seed sources for both by name.

Without going to watch the video I don't know which the guy is growing and he may not even know and be calling them 'Wild' when they are really Sara's. So just order the seeds by the color you want.

Dave

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

In the SSE Yearbooks there are listed many accessions of so called wild varieties, from Peru, the Phillipines and also from the different islands of the Galapagos.

Of the Galapagos ones almost all are typical wee fruited currant ones, Solanum lycopersicon, and then the one Dave mentioned, the only yellow one, cheesmaniii which is the salt tolerant one and quite frankly does not taste good at all. I've grown it,,

So if you want just a red currant one, they are available at almost every website, and seed sources are given for Sara's Galapagos in the link below.

Carolyn, just noting that while she fell a week ago last Thursday, the EMT's saw no breaks, vitals were fine, but the next day pain got much worse, couldn't even lift the walker, so another trip via ambulance to the ER last Thursday, no breaks, serious contusions, finally got some serious pain pills and muscle relactant pills and is not supposed to be here at the computer without someone being here, but here I am anyway, and now back to bed. Still pain when sitting here,

Here is a link that might be useful: Sara's Galapagos

• dalmation1080
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't want the Sara's red. I want the wild yellow variety.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

As I said above - Google lists several sources for the seeds.

UnderwoodGardens.com
    twiningvinegarden.com
    tradewindsfruit.com

are 3 of the listed sources for seeds that I found.

Dave

Carolyn - I told you you shouldn't be playing tennis in the living room unless you moved the couch and rolled up the rugs! :)

This post was edited by digdirt on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 18:47

• lucillle
    10 years ago

Carolyn I hope you feel better soon and don't overdo.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Carolyn - I told you you shouldn't be playing tennis in the living room unless you moved the couch and rolled up the rugs! :)

$$$$$$

Not to worry Dave since right now I'm not even allowed in my living room, a step down from the rest of my home, so the tournament right now in Indian Wells, CA is being played without me.

But I can follow the scores on the net, which I know will make you feel much better about my obsession with tennis. LOL

Carolyn, waiting patiently for another foot of snow starting today . Good thing that I have plenty of dark bittersweet chocolate on hand.

• pmjonesjr45
    8 years ago

I've got seeds that produced mostly red with occasional yellows. If you.still want some I can be bought. LOL All kidding aside I have probably 40 seeds. And they aren't that Sarasota type GUARANTEED.

• pmjonesjr45
    8 years ago

Please replace the word Sarasota with the word Sara. The darned auto correct drives me crazy.

Anyway, the seeds I am referring to came out of the southern Andes. I brought them back with me from a mining project. I plant them every year. They aren't crossed with anything since I'm back here.

• carolyn137
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

So your seeds are not pure anything if they give plants with yellow fruits and plants with red fruits? (wink)

And when referring to the Sarasota type you are talking about the Everglades one,which is a currant,and even more interesting,at least to me and others is that a person in S Florida thought his daugther had bought a plant of the Everglades one (red) and it turned out to have PINK fruits, a nice epidermis mutation. Ted sent me the fruits,I saved the seed and it really is quite unique as well as tasting great

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Ted%27s_Pink_Currant#tab=General_Info

Tania goofed in sayin red but good to know that she is selling seeds for it for 2016.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

Right now I'm not sure how I can alter my above post with your new information, but I'll try.Now say not from the Galapagos,but from the Andes and yes, Solanum pimpinellifolium, the currant (red), is originally from the Andes either Ecudor or Peru and seeds for it are sold at lots of places. And yes,I was the one who introduced Sara's Galapagos and Amy named it and yes,it is a stable interspecies hybrid as Dr. Chatelet told me and he's at theTGRC in Davis, CA, and I loveSara's Galapagos just as much as I loveTed's pink one,

• keen101 (5b, Northern, Colorado)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm going to try and grow S. cheesmaniae and S. galapagense tomatoes again this year. Last year i lost 50% of my tomato seedlings because i had poor soil and i didn't know what i was doing. I had one surprise plant survive that seemed like it could have been a S. cheesmaniae, but i don't remember it being as slow a grower as the others, so i do wonder if it is a pure S. cheesmaiae. I will try again with known pure S. Cheemaniae.

I also have hear that the pimpinellifolium (currant tomatoes) are super tiny but super flavorful. For fun i might try crossing the dark orange S. galapagense with a pimpinellifolium and reselect for a small orange currant tomato.

Looking forward to trying to grow other wild tomato species this year such as S. habrochaites and S. peruvianum. I'm excited about Joseph Lofthouse's Auto-hybridizing (Panamorous) tomato project that uses wild-domestic tomato hybrids. I grew his Wild cross 5 last year (now named Wild Zebra) which is descended from a wild tomato. I suspect S. habrochaites. It was an interesting tomato to be sure. Vigorous grower, no disease problems, striped fruits.

http://peaceseedslive.blogspot.com/

garden.lofthouse.com