Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiguna Tomato?

Posted by bindersbee 6a UT (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 18:48

My sister grew this one last year. It is a ruffled red tomato which tastes pretty good. She saved some seeds and I just planted some up today in the greenhouse.

The seed was brought from Paris by a friend of hers and I can find NO information on this tomato online. Has anyone heard of it or, even better, grown it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiguna Tomato?

bindersbee, I have some good news and some bad news.

How about Tiguan RZ, a cherry from the Dutch firm Rijk Zwaan? They're apparently a veggie breeder.

See p. 7 on the far right here:
http://www.rijkzwaan.com/wps/wcm/connect/a7d2598047b9fff48ba0bf771bee7b7a/PDF_S%26S_FEB_2011.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

I can't find info on either spelling in the big tomato databases (including the really huge ones in France and Germany).

I went to Rijk Zwaan's web site and didn't find info there either. In any case, they don't seem to offer that variety in the US -- but neither do I find it listed for their French business or even in Holland.

But the "RZ" suffix in "Tiguan RZ" seems to be how they denote all their varieties. And here's a bit of possibly bad news: in their variety lists on the three country web sites I checked, every single variety name is followed by "F1." So whatever Tiguan RZ is, it's a hybrid and doesn't breed true.

The seeds you have may resemble the original Tiguan RZ closely -- or not. At the least, they're likely to have lost some or all of their disease resistance.

So since it's not the original Tiguan, I suppose you might as well continue to call it Tiguna. 8-D

Okay -- the first link mentions that they're grown in Spain. So I figured it would only be sensible look at RZ's Spanish web site ... inasmuch as I read Spanish a heck of a lot better than I read Dutch! And the variety is listed there:
http://www.rijkzwaan.es/wps/wcm/connect/RZ+ES/Rijk+Zwaan/Products_and_Services/Products/Crops/Tomate
(If that doesn't open to a list of tomatoes, click on "Productos & Servicios" at the top left, then choose "Tomate." And if necessary, click on the small drop-down "Choose website by country" at the lower left; you may need to do that more than once.)

On the variety list, the round gray icons after some of the varieties are supposed to indicate Organic, Industry, Convenience, and Flavor. No variety gets more than one ... and some get none! Tiguan rates a Flavor icon. [And notice that their tomatoes are either organic OR convenient OR flavorful -- but never more than one!]

VW sells a car named Tiguan ... originally made by another German firm. According to Wikipedia (I really hate having to use them), "Tiguan is a combination of the German words Tiger ("tiger") and Leguan ("iguana")." How that translates to tomatoes, I really don't know. But given when the auto model was developed and named, the tomato must have been released in the last several years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here