Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheltieche

And the winner is Jaune Flammee

sheltieche
10 years ago

Started about 20 varieties on March 2, another 20 on March 3, March 4 first germination- Jaune Flammee wants to be early! Today about half of seeds did germinate.

Comments (6)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Good luck with it, Lindalana.
    It seems to be a good timing for your zone.
    I also germinated mine about a week ago. They just have their cotyledon leaves so far. I have about 20 varieties. My probable plant out date is from April 1st to the 15th.

I have a lot of EARLY varieties:

• bcfromfl
    10 years ago

Good growing!

This variety was highly recommended to me by Darrel of selectedplants.com, when I placed an order a few days ago. (Although, I didn't order this variety.) I'm fairly certain he claimed it was similar to Goose Creek in flavor and production.

-Bruce

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Lindalana, both of us are in zone 5 and while not all zone 5's are the same I never sowed seeds until about April first, which then gave me time to get them up, last average frost for me was May 15th, hardened off and set out around June 1 st., depending on the weather.

Any earlier than that and I could have late frosts that would take out my plants.

One of the persons who does seed production for me also lives in zone 5 IL and he never puts out plants until early to mid June.

But I also know that you are no novice when it comes to tomato growing, so about all I can do is to wish you well. ( smile)

Carolyn

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

bc, I think Lindalana called it a winner since it was the first to germinate.

I know the variety very well and I don't think Darrel would be comparing it with Goose Creek b'c they are two very different varieties in all ways.

Back in 1992 there were four of us who were contacted by Norbert in France who wanted to trade varieties. We got together and decided on who was going to ask for what so there were no duplications.

As you can see from the link below it was Bill Minkey who got this variety and many more, so did I and one person sent all his varieties to me.

I could make a very long list of all the ones we got, many are real faves even today, but that's too much to do, b/c it would mean going thru my SSE yearbooks in the early 90's since we SSE listed all of them.

After all of these years Norbert has reappeared elsewhere and I was delighted to see that.

Communication has been difficult for me and some others since he's not that comfortable with English and many of us know little French,

All to say that I like Jaune Flammee very much and always have,The closest to it IMO is Earl of Edgecombe, and I really like that one.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Jaune Flammee

• bcfromfl
    10 years ago

Thank you for correcting my error, Carolyn! Sometimes I don't remember details well on the phone! :(

It sounds like a great variety!

-Bruce

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for good wishes! I am looking forward to new season.
    Carolyn, timing you describe is what traditionally done in this area too. We aim our Chicagoland plant swap for Memorial day weekend as this is when people are planting outside. There is regularly a bout of really bad weather around May 15, it was as late as May 18 for couple of seasons. My own plants go into WOW around May 1 and do well reliably, thus I am able to push the envelope a bit.