Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paling lower leaves on newly outdoor tomatoes

Posted by SwampSlug 9a (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 19:57

I put these young cherry tomato plants outdoors after growing them indoors under bulbs. I hardened them off for 10 days and they reacted positively so I don't think that's the issue. I amended the soil according to the results of a sample I had analyzed. I watered them in thoroughly but haven't given them any more in the 3 days since I transplanted. The plant in the photo and 2 or 3 others in all spots of the veggie patch have this withered whitening on the lower leaves. The other dozen plants are doing fine but these few have me worried. Am I being paranoid or is there something sinister at work here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paling lower leaves on newly outdoor tomatoes

Any fertilizer as yet? If not, add it and water in well.

o

Hi Jean,
Yes, they have been fertilized. I took the recommended amount of organic cottonseed meal and mixed half in with the top soil before spreading it and then spread the second half after planting. It's been watered in well but my instinct is the same as yours, for whatever reason nutrients aren't getting to the plants. I don't see any rhyme or reason to why it is these particular plants but I'll give them another week or so and see if they perk up. Any idea what might be blocking the nutrients at the root end to lead to paling (it's not yellowing)?

o

Are you saying that not all of your tomato plants show the whitish areas on the foliage,just some?.

If it were all and you garden near the coast, then I'd suggest it's the June Glooms along coastal CA starting in late March.

And to me that means one of the two Powdery Mildew fungal diseases.

Carolyn

o

I'm living in New Orleans and only 4 of the 12 plants are showing this. I've dealt with powdery mildew before and this is not the same.

o

Cottonseed meal is a good Nitrogen source (as protein) but the plants need the Nitrate form of Nitrogen. I would suggest you wait a while for soil microbes to break-down the protein unless you are willing to use a standard fertilizer source for faster response. In the meantime the plants appear to be holding in there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here