Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet 100 vs. Super Sweet 100 vs. Sweet Million

Posted by yumtomatoes 10a/FLA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 20:07

I would like sweet taste, thin skin, larger fruit that sets fruit in higher heat/humidity climates. Resists cracking is good, too. I think that may be Sweet Million but I am not sure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet 100 vs. Super Sweet 100 vs. Sweet Million

I have grown Sweet100 for years and always find that they are prolific and tasty but somewhat crack prone if you don't pick right away. From what I've heard, Super Sweet 100 has all the taste/bounty but more hardiness and less cracking than Sweet 100. I hadn't heard of Sweet Million until now, maybe I'll plant some next year!

o

Yum, the only way you'll have answers to your questions is to grow 2 or 3 of them in one season where you live and how you grow tomatoes, and which amendments you use and how much and when and what the weather is like in any one season, etc'

Folks will give you answers but they probably don't do things the way you do, probably don't live where you live, so their experiences are theirs and now I think it's time for you to determine what your experiences are with them.

Just my gentle suggestion. ( smile)

Carolyn

o

From what I've heard, Super Sweet 100 has all the taste/bounty but more hardiness and less cracking than Sweet 100.

Thanks, that is in line from what I have read elsewhere, I think I will pass on Sweet 100.

o
Too Many Tomatoes, Not Enough Space!

Yum, the only way you'll have answers to your questions is to grow 2 or 3 of them in one season

I only have space for 2 really, although I have tried to squeeze a third in but then it is hard for them all to get enough sun. I like growing at least one full size tomato each season.

However, I have friends with more land and I am trying to get them to grow different varieties for me to try. The Sun Golds were a hit as long as I didn't overwater them. Took me a bit to figure that out.

o
Skin Thickness

So between Super Sweet 100 and Sweet Million, are their skins both equally thick/thin if anyone knows. Thanks.

o

I preferred the SS100s over the Millions, because the millions were too big for me. And the skin was a little thicker. I prefer a one or two chew cherry tomato.

o

I like Sweet Million best of those 3, but then our climate doesn't have skin cracking problems. I do agree you should grow all 3 this summer and see how you rate them!

Carla in Sac

o

For more reviews you can try looking them up here. Pay attention to where each reviewer grew what as taste can be different depending on climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners

o

Thanks for the link thisisme!

o

I have had good luck with Sweet Millions in 111+ degree temperatures with humidity. They were probably one of the only tomato plants out of 30 that produced tomatoes because of the high heat.

I prefer sweet millions over sweet 100 because of the amount of tomatoes it produces. However, this year so far seems like they are slow to produce or someone sold me Sweet 100's and called them Sweet Millions. (You get crazy conspiracy thoughts running though your head when your tomato plants are slow.) One of the best places I grew the Sweet millions plant was under a pine tree with a cold compost soil amendment into heavy clay. The plant went nuts and produced more tomatoes than I have ever seen off of one plant. It was nearly 10 feet tall before the branches started to break in high winds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here