Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yumtomatoes

Sweet 100 vs. Super Sweet 100 vs. Sweet Million

yumtomatoes
12 years ago

I would like sweet taste, thin skin, larger fruit that sets fruit in higher heat/humidity climates. Resists cracking is good, too. I think that may be Sweet Million but I am not sure.

Comments (22)

• acadia78
    12 years ago

I have grown Sweet100 for years and always find that they are prolific and tasty but somewhat crack prone if you don't pick right away. From what I've heard, Super Sweet 100 has all the taste/bounty but more hardiness and less cracking than Sweet 100. I hadn't heard of Sweet Million until now, maybe I'll plant some next year!

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

From what I've heard, Super Sweet 100 has all the taste/bounty but more hardiness and less cracking than Sweet 100.

Thanks, that is in line from what I have read elsewhere, I think I will pass on Sweet 100.

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yum, the only way you'll have answers to your questions is to grow 2 or 3 of them in one season

I only have space for 2 really, although I have tried to squeeze a third in but then it is hard for them all to get enough sun. I like growing at least one full size tomato each season.

However, I have friends with more land and I am trying to get them to grow different varieties for me to try. The Sun Golds were a hit as long as I didn't overwater them. Took me a bit to figure that out.

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So between Super Sweet 100 and Sweet Million, are their skins both equally thick/thin if anyone knows. Thanks.

• ncrealestateguy
    12 years ago

I preferred the SS100s over the Millions, because the millions were too big for me. And the skin was a little thicker. I prefer a one or two chew cherry tomato.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    12 years ago

I like Sweet Million best of those 3, but then our climate doesn't have skin cracking problems. I do agree you should grow all 3 this summer and see how you rate them!

Carla in Sac

• thisisme
    12 years ago

For more reviews you can try looking them up here. Pay attention to where each reviewer grew what as taste can be different depending on climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link thisisme!

• inlikeflint
    11 years ago

I have had good luck with Sweet Millions in 111+ degree temperatures with humidity. They were probably one of the only tomato plants out of 30 that produced tomatoes because of the high heat.

I prefer sweet millions over sweet 100 because of the amount of tomatoes it produces. However, this year so far seems like they are slow to produce or someone sold me Sweet 100's and called them Sweet Millions. (You get crazy conspiracy thoughts running though your head when your tomato plants are slow.) One of the best places I grew the Sweet millions plant was under a pine tree with a cold compost soil amendment into heavy clay. The plant went nuts and produced more tomatoes than I have ever seen off of one plant. It was nearly 10 feet tall before the branches started to break in high winds.

• tarolli2011
    8 years ago

Although this is an old thread, I am adding my growing experence in Ohio. Sweet million does produce more, but the taste is awful by comparison. I actually let them rot on the vine instead of bothering to pick them because I just did not want the produce from Sweet Million.

• Pumpkin (zone 10A)
    8 years ago

Judging by the above comments, Sweet Million likes high heat...which is good to know....

High heat really changes the taste of much produce and tomatoes are one such crop. Normally it makes them sweeter and more intense. Some varieties seem to require those conditions to develop any flavor. For instance the bemoaned yellow pear actually tastes pretty decent when grown in very intense heat.

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

SW Florida 9B

I have grown Sweet 100, Supersweet 100, Sweet Million and Matt's Wild Cherry. All grew easily and produced well here in 9B poor hot native sandy soil. For flavor I prefer Sweet 100. It's very sweet, but not too sweet like the others. And for home use it had no cracking or other issues that mattered to me. Sweet 100 seed is getting harder to find as it seems to have been replaced by Supersweet 100. There is more to a good tasting mater than just the Brix rating.

If anyone has a source for Sweet 100 seed please let me know.

I would rank them as follows for flavor and general characteristics.

1. Sweet 100 - 8.5 - Best tasting Cherry I've grown so far, still looking for better ones.

2. Supersweet 100 - 8.0

3. Sweet Million - 7.5

4. Matt's Wild Cherry - 7.5

5. Yellow Pear - 6.5

6. Black Cherry - 6.0

FYI: Black Cherry & Yellow Pear grow well, but I can't recommend them for flavor. Yellow Pear is mild to the point of being bland and Black Cherry has a "unique" funky off flavor that many people rave about, but I think is highly over rated. If you are thinking it will taste like a black tomato - it doesn't. Tastes more like an unripe green one.

• ncrealestateguy
    7 years ago

I have grown all three before. In 7b, Charlotte, NC. I like Super Sweet 100s. The Millions just did not taste like much and were too big for my liking. I grow these also for the kids to enjoy, and of course they like sweet. So, Super Sweet 100 it is. My plant in the garden right now is almost 9 feet tall and it is only June 3rd!

• tarolli2011
    7 years ago

I understood that the "super" in SS100 is because it is super resistant to disease. I cannot tell the difference between them. One year I planted 6 of each in a row, alternating every other plant to test for my preference. I found no difference in taste, productivity, vigor, or disease. I consider them to be very, very similar.

• Labradors
    7 years ago

I grew Super Sweet 100, Sweet 100 and Sweet Million one year, and preferred the taste of Sweet Million. It's a little bigger and sweeter and has always been my favourite. I haven't grown it in a while because I have been searching for a cherry with better taste. I haven't found a good red one though.

Carbon Copy has excellent taste, but it's dark.

Linda

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago

tarolli - I agree the flavor is similar, but the brix level is a bit higher on SS 100 according to my taste buds. I must be not totally crazy as I have seen other people on GW say the same thing.

• tarolli2011
    7 years ago

A comment on Sweet Million to new people who are considering it. (I worry about 2-tomato families getting "favorites" advice from us tomatoholics without knowing problems of different cultivars.)

Everyone likes the SSs. Many people dislike Sweet Million. If you only grow a few tomatoes, the SSs are safer.

The year I tried Sweet Million, I stopped harvesting it because they tasted so bad to me. (In general, I like acidic tasting tomatoes.) It has to be pretty bad for me to waste tomatoes.

A friend said he "made a mistake" last year and bought Million instead of 100. They were very disappointed with it, and were careful not to make that "mistake" this year.

Sunset magazine does extensive taste testing. They rate both SSs among "best cherries", right after the Suns and one that I can't find. They do not consider Sweet Million among the "best cherries".

If you only grow a few tomatoes, stick to the Suns and 100s cherries. Tomatoholics grow many cultivars and we expect to grow some that we don't like.

• Labradors
    7 years ago

Wow! I've never heard disparaging remarks about Sweet Million before!

I would say that if you want to play it safe, grow Sungold! It tastes far better than the red ones and almost everybody loves it.

Linda

• User
    7 years ago

Yum, I'm with you... I only have room for 2 tomatoes in my new retirement garden. (I used to grow 24). I also agree with Carolyn... Taste them in your own garden to try them as I did using pots if necessary. I tried Sweet Million a couple of years ago and it was terrific, but it cracked!! Then last year I tried Nectar. It was even more delicious and no cracking. I planted it again this year but also taste tested it in a pot, along with 5 other cherry tomatoes grown in 1 gallon pots. Now before everyone jumps in to tell me these pots are too small, please note they are TASTING SAMPLERS, not intended to be full grown tomato plants. When I get a taste of the tomatoes to compare, I'll toss the tomato plants.

Nectar had to be one of the plants grown in a 1 gallon pot so all tests would be equal. It had ripe fruit second behind Ample which was also very good, but not good enough to bump Nectar out of first place for taste. Still waiting for Sakura, Sunsugar, Sunpeach, and Sugary to ripen. Sugary has the most blossoms at this point... Absolutely loaded beyond belief!!

This experiment has been totally perfect in every way for me. It allowed me to see which cherry tomato was the best for my garden and my tastebuds with my qualifications... Early. Sweet. Delicious. No cracking, lots of tomatoes. Nectar wins the test. If I run into a tomato I feel I can't live without, I buy a bigger pot and plant one. :)

I encourage you to try it next year and enjoy the ride!!

Rebecca

• Labradors
    7 years ago

That sounds like a plan Rebecca, and better than wasting half the garden to grow cherry tomatoes that turn out to be icky! I can see going mad and planting them in larger pots for a bit more of a harvest :-). Of course the problem growing in small containers is that varieties improve in flavour as the season progresses, and we would never find out......

Linda

• kittriana (Kat)
    3 years ago

Super Sweet 100's this year, cracking occured with 5" of rain in 5 days- not unexpected. Ripens fast, slightly acid bite(flavor) good, but when overripened a bit more they turn really sweet. I haven't found the right spot to distinguish tween hybrids, op, and couldn't tell you a brix rating if I tried. Did not quit producing nor slow fruiting with 90* days. Vines are approaching 12' length now that July is here. Will grow them next year, as they are what I searched for in a cherry. Ruby Crush was my alternate cherry tomato-a bit less flavor bite, produced well and still producing, but the vines appear to have been happy at 6' length. They are also a long cherry- 2 bites long, chuckl. ZONE 9a. NW Houston, Waller County.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths