Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it worth planting, Azoychka Russian?

Posted by nhardy 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 20:12

I ordered seeds last year and the seller included a package of free seeds, Azoychka Russian. I had other plans last year because of limited space, I just stuck them away. Are they worth planting them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it worth planting, Azoychka Russian?

Yes, it's worth growing. I'ts quite early and has very good taste, according to those who have grown it and that includes me.

But the name is NOT Azoychaka Russian, it's just Azoychka, and you can tell its popularity from the link I've given below to Tania's wonderful tomato data base based on the number of places that sell seed for it.

Scroll down on that page to see the pictures and all the seed sources for 2012 as well as a few reports from others.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Azoychka

o

Hmmm I will keep that one in mind for next year maybe...

o

I planted a few seeds. Let's see what comes up.

o

Every year, I plant a couple yellow varieties, and while some have been good, I've never been truly impressed with one until Azoychka. Of the 20 varieties I planted last year, Azoychka was probably tied with Juanne Flamme for my best tasting variety. It is definitely worth planting.

o

I too am glad to hear all the positive reviews as I have it growing for the first time this year. Linda

o

Those who want more info on the variety eg mentioned will find it listed under Jaune Flamme ("jaune" referring to "yellow" and various golden- or orangy-yellow shades in French).

o

The correct spelling for this variety is given at Tania's tomato base, linked to below.

You'll note that she said that Bill Minkey got it in a trade with Norbert P of France in 1992.

Actually there were three others who got some wonderful varieties from Norbert at the same time, he contacted us, and those were Joe Bratam who sent me all that he got and Craig LeHoullier and myself.

So I first grew it out, b'c we all shared seeds amongst us, in 1992 and I think first listed in in the SSE YEarbook in about 1993 or so.

I got Jaune Negib and I can't tell you how many other wonderful varieties.

And just a month or so ago Norbert showed up at a site where I read and post and that sure was a surpirse. He writes mainly in French so there were those who would translate what he wrote.

One of the other varieties I got was Cuostralee, which has become a fave of many. And I can't remember all the other ones right now.

It's an excellent variety.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Jane Flammee

o

Thanks for the spelling correction. For those of us who don't know French, what is the correct pronunciation?

o

This one has been through the mill on spelling! It's correctly:Jaune Flammée, meaning yellow flamed, more loosely fiery yellow, something like that. Pronunciation: Zhone flah-may, accent on second syllable.

o

And now I'm laughing b'c I spelled it June Flammee for the link, but the link does take you to the right page at Tania's website.

So Gary, you didn't notice that. LOL

Ah, how to phonetically explain the pronunciation, since Gary didn't.

Jawn Flah may

I don't know how to represent the first word and the above doesn't quite do it, maybe, jaun as in jaundice, I don't know, I can sit here and speak it but am having trouble representing it.

Does that work, for I know Gary speaks French fluently and I only speak enough to get around in France in a minimal manner. LOL

Carolyn

o

I love 'em !

Photobucket

o

Wonderful reading! I just loved it.

Now I'm impressed. Beautiful photo. I have one seed that has sprouted so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here