Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elia12978

Tomato seedlings getting brown tips and leaf roll

elia12978
10 years ago

I started a 72 cell flat of various types of tomatoes. I have them under fluorescent 500k light and a ceiling fan on. I was leaving the light on for 19 hrs, but have since reduced the time to 16 hrs. They seem to be doing pretty good for the most part. I have noticed that some of the leaf tips are browning and a few of the plants are getting leaf roll. What could be causing this? Too much light, over watering, to much fertilizer.....hopefully it's not a disease already. Advise please.

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Plants of this size are still in cell packs, much less the small 6 cell packs???

If so then there is your problems. They should have been transplanted to larger containers sometime ago. Probably root bound.

Dave

• elia12978
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have some half pint or so cups for tomatoes, I will go ahead and transplant. I guess I should go ahead and rough the roots up if they are bound? I was trying to get an early start. Winter here has about drove us nuts. I may start another batch to. We still have another month till last frost date . I didn't realize that these would grow as fast as they did. This is the first time I've started seeds indoors .

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

For inexpensive larger pots, buy a package of plastic drink cups. Roots avoid light, so it's better to use opaque cups rather than clear. I clip three small V's on the bottom edge for drainage.

Depending on the size of the seedlings and your preference, you can use smaller (8 oz.?) cups now and move them to larger cups later, or go directly to larger cups (I use 16 oz.).

Put the seedlings directly on the bottom of the cups. Pinch off the lower leaves and add potting mix. Roots will grow from the stem where it's covered with potting mix: these additional roots make for a more vigorous plant. As the seedlings grow, pot them up to 16 oz. cups. [Or if you skipped the 8 oz. cup stage and went directly to large cups, as the seedlings grow, pinch off the bottom leaves and add more mix.]

I don't think it makes any difference whether you give them 16 or 19 hours of light.

• elia12978
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I finally got them all transplanted into the cups. The roots weren't really that bound. So I'm not sure that was my problem. It's only been a few days since I transplanted. I still think about 25 percent of them still don't look right. They look a little yellowish and the leaves look to be curling or dying a bit. I'm not over watering. I'm just wondering once a young Tomato has a bit of shock can it still produce a good plant? I'm keeping the lights on about 16 hrs and a ceiling fan 24/7. On another note I have went through 4 cheap double fluorescent lights in one month. "Note to self...don't buy 10 dollar lights from the big W. They are junk!"

• lucillle
    10 years ago

Interesting. Fluorescent lights both fixture and bulb usually last a long time for me, no matter what the cost. Could it be an electric problem on your end?

• jeannainnc
    10 years ago

I just read interesting book on nutrient uptake and I would like to try help with your tomatoes. What kind of soil were they in before and what did you replant them in? Have you fed your plants any fertilizers, if so what, how much, and what are the fertilizers main components?

Are the burned leaves on the oldest or newest leaves? Is the leaf curl up or down? Has your watering been consistent?

Your lights should not have burned out that quick, most l Iikely a ballast problem.

Jeanna

• elia12978
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeanna, I started them in miracle grow seed starting mix and watered when I noticed the soil start to dry. They were all doing really great untill they got about 4 or 5 inches tall. ( not all of them ) I did mix a tablespoon of miracle grow liquid feed per gallon. I fed them with that twice. I started in mid February and probably gave them the first feeding maybe 15 days later and then again once I noticed that some of the plants were having problems. I transplanted them all to 16 oz cups. Some of them I gave the miracle grow seed mix and some I made a mix of 2 parts soil , 2 parts peat, 1 part perilite , and 1 part ( the little white things , can't think this morning). Anyway, the ones that were doing ok are still doing ok. The ones that were having problems still seem to be. Some may be a bit better. The problems are on the old leaves and the curling is turning up. Not sure? I know tomatoes are hesvy feeders but I don't want to roast them.

• L Brogdon
    9 years ago

Yikes! That's a lot of Miracle Grow per gallon. I don't think their fertilizer should be that strong, especially whilst still in containers. I use 1 small scoop or 1/2 teaspoon to a milk jug of water and they've been transplant in 4" peat pots for 2 weeks now. We are awaiting a dry spell to set ours out (extremely wet this spring.) The tips are turning brown and hoped to find some info to stave off some issue before it gets out of control.

• Peter (6b SE NY)
    9 years ago

You burned them with too much fertilzer if you ask me. A tablespoon per gallon is outdoor strength. Looks like fertilizer burn in the pic to me also. I am growing in Miracle Gro mix and haven't needed to fertilize at all.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Agree. Leaf tip burn is classic symptom of excess nitrogen. Need to read the label. Leaf roll/curl is also a symptom of excess nitrogen and of inconsistent soil moisture levels.
    Dave

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor