Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

My haul

lucillle
11 years ago

I moved to a tiny house about a year and a half ago. Have been fixing it up and planting stuff, but didn't think I was going to be able to plant a bunch of tomatoes this year.
So I see an ad today from a guy in the next town who is selling off some of his extra seedlings. I go over there, and his wife grows beautiful flowers, and it was altogether a beautiful place.
I end up with one each of the following, each about 14" tall:

Black Prince
Red Strawberry
Purple Russian
Red Siberian
Brandywine
Pink Ponderosa

Other than Brandywine I don't recall growing any of the others I got, but the haul brightened my outlook considerably toward the possibilities of decent veggies this year.

Comments (3)

• nialialea
    11 years ago

That's weird, I thought I responded to this post. Wonder where it went...

Anyway, congrats on the haul! Have you been to Arbor Gate (in Tomball)? I picked up Viva Italias that are doing really well from there.

For fall I'm going to start a bunch of pastes from seed and find one that works here and tastes good. I love the tree-type tomatoes!

• lucillle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Have not been there, Humble is around an hour away. I'm hoping you post your best paste as the the season goes on.

• nialialea
    11 years ago

Will do -- right now I have Viva Italia, Roma, and San Marzano growing, and they all look really good (compared to my last try, anyway, certainly not monster plants or anything).

I'm thinking of starting some varieties that are supposed to do well in the heat as a "summer" crop, with more paste varieties in the fall. I have space for about five more plants, so I bet I can squeeze in ten if I really try, hehehe!

It's funny but I didn't really see many of the hot tolerant ones anywhere near here. I would have thought the nurseries would make bank on them.

Arbor Gate is well worth the trip, although you have those nice boutique nurseries in the Heights. I'm totally envious -- I wanted to go to Buchanan's but couldn't convince my designated driver, even piggybacked on a trip to Penzey's.

Sometimes I feel like Chicken Little around here. ;)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz