Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Can?

Posted by tim45z10 sdca (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 20:33

The Great White Tomatoes from the Heirloom seed company?
Thank You for your help.
Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Can?

Sure. Any variety of tomatoes may be canned as long as you follow the proper canning instructions.

Dave

o

Tim, you can can any variety of tomatoes. If you're just making a batch, it doesn't really matter. But if you're planning on canning a lot and you want to cut down on the time it takes, there are some things you may want to consider.

Size of the tomato- canning very small tomatoes makes for more work because you have more individual fruits to peel. Canning huge beefsteaks goes fast, but makes for more juice and less flesh because in general they have a higher juice content, so you'll end up with a quart that has slightly less tomato flesh in it than if you canned with a different variety.

Skins and shape of the tomato- Tomatoes that are round or roma shaped lend to easy removal of the skin after boiling. Tomatoes that are heavily lobed and prone to cracking require more work because the skin doesn't come off in one piece (especially on the shoulders) and you need to cut out bad spots.

Again, if you're just canning a batch for the novelty of white sauce or whatever, this doesn't really apply. If you're putting up 50 quarts, you might consider planting a rounder medium sized white tomato instead of one of the big beefsteaks. It could potentially save you a couple hours of time when canning. Some people don't care, but I personally hate canning, and I try to get through it as fast as possible ;-)

o

And then you can use something like a Back to Basics food mill and then reduce by at least 50% and it makes the best thick tomato juice you can't buy. The food mill will allow you to not have to peel and de-seed. It does that for you. And it doesn't care if you have large or small tomatoes. You're gonna cut them into chunks which is very easy to do.

Simply add one teaspoon of canning salt per quart of canned juice and everything will be just fine. I have only three quarts left from last year to get me thru to first harvest. It's gonna be hard to do. :>)

Ted

o

Thanks for the recipe, Ted. That sounds so simple I may actually get it done....

o

That would make a weird looking sauce. Might be good for a clam sauce and "red" sauce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here