Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim45z10

Can I Can?

tim45z10
12 years ago

The Great White Tomatoes from the Heirloom seed company?

Thank You for your help.

Tim

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Sure. Any variety of tomatoes may be canned as long as you follow the proper canning instructions.

Dave

• euarto_gullible
    12 years ago

Tim, you can can any variety of tomatoes. If you're just making a batch, it doesn't really matter. But if you're planning on canning a lot and you want to cut down on the time it takes, there are some things you may want to consider.

Size of the tomato- canning very small tomatoes makes for more work because you have more individual fruits to peel. Canning huge beefsteaks goes fast, but makes for more juice and less flesh because in general they have a higher juice content, so you'll end up with a quart that has slightly less tomato flesh in it than if you canned with a different variety.

Skins and shape of the tomato- Tomatoes that are round or roma shaped lend to easy removal of the skin after boiling. Tomatoes that are heavily lobed and prone to cracking require more work because the skin doesn't come off in one piece (especially on the shoulders) and you need to cut out bad spots.

Again, if you're just canning a batch for the novelty of white sauce or whatever, this doesn't really apply. If you're putting up 50 quarts, you might consider planting a rounder medium sized white tomato instead of one of the big beefsteaks. It could potentially save you a couple hours of time when canning. Some people don't care, but I personally hate canning, and I try to get through it as fast as possible ;-)

• containerted
    12 years ago

And then you can use something like a Back to Basics food mill and then reduce by at least 50% and it makes the best thick tomato juice you can't buy. The food mill will allow you to not have to peel and de-seed. It does that for you. And it doesn't care if you have large or small tomatoes. You're gonna cut them into chunks which is very easy to do.

Simply add one teaspoon of canning salt per quart of canned juice and everything will be just fine. I have only three quarts left from last year to get me thru to first harvest. It's gonna be hard to do. :>)

Ted

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

Thanks for the recipe, Ted. That sounds so simple I may actually get it done....

• Jon_dear
    12 years ago

That would make a weird looking sauce. Might be good for a clam sauce and "red" sauce.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES