Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

What are your opinion's on the Zebra tomato group?

I have seed for green(tried it 2 summers ago and liked it), black , red and yellow. I have the basic 3' cages already; I'm understanding zebra's are semi-indeterminate? At least the green was a few years ago. I can sneak a few in my flower beds and just throw my berry netting over the cages (has worked for me in the past for pest's), just for the heck of it, what do you think?

Thanks

Melissa

Comments (10)

• mulio
    15 years ago

I think they look nice.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

As long as it is "just for the heck of it". ;)

I'd agree that they look nice. Just don't look like a tomato should to us but wife and I are old-fashioned when it comes to tomatoes. Never cared for the taste of any of them. JMO.

Dave

• wordwiz
    15 years ago

I raised some Red Zebra last year and they were fantastic. Got six-eight cueball size toms off of them every 2-3 days, right up until October when the killing frost came.

Mike

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

They look nice and never cared for the taste of any of them as posted above, is also is the way I see them.

It's turned out that the original Green Zebra tends to cross pollinate easily hence the different colored versions for most of them.

Many years ago a friend of mine from Indiana got some crossed stuff from Green Zebra and sent me seeds for several of them and some of those same colored ones are now lisited here and there for sale.

I didn't like any of them, and I don't like any that are currently listed here and there and in the SSE Yearbook, of the ones that I've tried.

But to each their own as regards taste.

Carolyn

• HoosierCheroKee
    15 years ago

Seems there are 2 questions here basically:

1) What do you think of the Zebra tomatoes?

2) What do you think about growing them in a flower garden since they're supposed to be "semi-indeterminate?"

Well, first of all, what exactly is "semi-indeterminate?" My experience with Green Zebra is a minimum 6 - 7 foot tall extremely full-foliaged vine ... not one easily contained in a 3-foot cage.

Secondly, my experience with Green Zebra and Red Zebra was blossom end rot-prone, interesting looking, under productive, zingy almost tinny flavor, not at all good in salads, and only good with seafood like on a crab cake sandwich.

Lastly, the only "Zebra-like" tomatoes that I've found to have really good flavor are Pink Tie Dye and Pork Chop. Both very nice. But again, both probably aggressive enough to outgrow 3-foot cages.

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hoosiercherokee,
    I only grew Green Zebra 1 summer, so that's all I have to go by, but the plant only got to be about 3'tall. This summer is from a different seed source. I think maybe just starting some of the green's and going from there.

Thanks
    Melissa

• mr_potaohead
    15 years ago

Grew Green Zebra last year. Didn't care for the taste and they went from not-quite-ripe to squishy in only a couple of days. But my plants got way over 3 feet tall. The 3rd tub from the right are the Green Zebras. The white cross bar at the picture is 6ft, and the plants are at least 2 feet above that.

• the_sun
    15 years ago

I think they look nice.

LOL

• spiced_ham
    15 years ago

Flavor is subjective, and with some of the zebras degree of ripeness is an important factor, so I won't say they are any worse than many of the heirlooms I have grown. As for size, For me Green Zebra and Black Zebra were more or less full med-size indeterminant plants (4-6 ft), but the fruit size is small so you can grow them stunted in buckets, poor soil, etc and not know how big they can get. They will knock over a little store bought wire cone cage.

• sullivan450
    15 years ago

with green zebra,the tangy/sour flavor intesifies when they are dried, and they become quite good. not the best tomato for fresh eating or slicing ,too much seed/pulp.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!