Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long fo you keep a fan going on your indoor seedlings?

Posted by Jay5 none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 21:01

Did my FAQs and searches and could find but a hint.

Any experienced grower information would be valued.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long fo you keep a fan going on your indoor seedlings?

I run a fan at slow speed for a couple of hours per day. The temp is kept at about 60-65 degrees. The result has been short, stocky plants that transplant nicely to pots. Other years, I have simply run my hands over the plants a few times a day (like the scent) and had results that were not that much different and saved a bit of energy. Would be interested to hear other opinions.

o

• Posted by Jay5 none (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 21:50

Thanks for that.

Mine have true leaves and are growing more so I am a bit behind with a fan. For a start I am going to run a fan on them at low from 1pm until 5pm, the warmest part of the day and the time the house temp will likely rise, to help keep them a bit cooler as well as help with their stem strength.

o

Once the normal daytime temperatures get up to 60 or 65 my greenhouse wants to get too darn hot. So I open my roof
vent and also the door. I place a large box fan in the doorway and cant it from side to side every few hours. It
runs most all day on a low or medium setting.

I also like to shake my trays and run my hands over the plants. I think it helps with stem strength.

o

Mine have fans on them 24 hours a day from the time they get transplanted into their cells at the cotyledons stage until ready to go to the garden or to the farmer's market.

Dave

o

same as dave, 24/7

o

I leave the fan on as long as the lights are on. I've only started using a fan in the past year or so for indoor seedlings, but it made sense to me to have both the fan and the lights on the same timer. This works out to be about 16 hours on for both lights and fan.

The results, so far, seem pretty good. Not only are the stems thicker, but they seem a little stockier overall.

o

• Posted by Jay5 none (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 17:50

Good information folks. Thanks.

o

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 18:50

My fans are on a timer, they run for 15 minutes every 2 1/2 hours, and I keep it running as long as the plants are under the lights.

Betsy

o

I transplant mine up to their necks in the garden so I don't care/bother.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here