Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best boy Hybrid

Posted by blueheron z6 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 17, 09 at 21:02

I moved to a smaller place in October and I want to try growing vegetables in containers. I bought a Burpee Patio Vegetable Garden packet of 4 different seeds for containers - Best Boy Hybrid tomato, Spacemaster cucumber, Heatwave Blend lettuce and Mammoth basil.

I never grew tomatoes in a container before and I was wondering just how much I will have to stake these tomato plants. The tomatoes grow to 8-oz. What kind of a stake do you use for a container that doesn't get topheavy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best boy Hybrid

Switch the center of gravity by making the bottom heavy. I place old weights from a weight set in the bottom of the pot. A heavy rock will also do. Weebles wobble but they dont fall down.

For a stake a 1x2 or 2x2 from the hardware store should work fine.

o

Thanks. I will try that.

o

You can also drive a steel fencepost or similar into the ground next to your deck or patio. Then set the container right next to it and then tie the container to the post at the bottom. Then tie the plant to the stake too.

o

Blueheron,

If you see this post let me know how your seeds from the Burpee Patio Vegetable Garden packet are doing. I bought the same packet and planted the seeds last Sat.

My lettuce has sprouted and I direct sow the seed in a container outdoors. I started the Best Boy in a peat pot inside by the window and some just sprouted today. Nothing yet on the cucs or basil which are both outside in containers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here