Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexie1397

Looking for Sweet Mojo

lexie1397
10 years ago

Does anyone know of a reputable online source for Sweet Mojo starts?

My seed technique needs work before I trust it. A local source for the starts would be even better (central Indiana/Michigan border), but since they seem to be uncommon I will get it where I can!

I grew these once before and LOVED them. I am hoping they do as well here as in Oregon.

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Zone 10 Central Indiana???

It is very unlikely you will find them as transplants since it is just one of the hybrid grape-types bred for commercial production not home growing. So even the seeds are commercial-tagged.

I don't know if Darrel at Selected Plants might offer them or not but you can check the SP website.

There are several other grape-types that are more readily available but your best bet would be to contact a local nursery and ask them if they will grow the transplants for you on consignment. You provide the seeds.

Dave

• lexie1397
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not zone 10. No idea why thats up there... guess i ought to figure it out

The plant I purchased two years ago (in oregon, still not zone 10 :) ) was labeled just Mojo but not even Google knows that one.

Is there a similar variety that might be easier to find? I liked that it was a meaty fruit (more so than my romas!), sweet, and was extremely productive even at the edge of my garden where it got a little more shade and less water. It wasn't prone to cracking, but that's less of a concern since most get eaten right off the bush!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The 10 is listed as your gardening zone. That is from your Profile page in the Members Pages and you can change it there for a permanent change or temporarily in the blue zone box provided with each post.

Sweet Mojo is a grape cherry-sized so not comparable to Romas that are a large past/plum type tomato.

So is it really a small cherry/grape you want or a larger paste type? There are lots of good ones for both categories but they aren't nearly the same thing.

No way of really knowing what it was they sold you. The real name could have been anything from a switched tag to a made-up name.

Dave

• lexie1397
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am definitely looking for a small cherry/grape size fruit. I referenced the romas just as a comparison standard for meaty:juicy ratio.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Then look for Sweet Hearts, Sugary, Sprite, Juliet, Rosalita, Grape or Elfin. Selected Plants probably has several of them and Bonnie's Plants has Sprite and Juliet I know.

Dave

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County