Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Brown spots on seedling leaves

Posted by cmplett none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 21:19

I planted these tomatoes about 4 weeks ago, they are kinda leggy and grumpy in general, but I have gotten a good germination rate. Now their little leaves are coming in, which is very exciting, but the seedling leaves are turning yellow and have brown spots on them (see picture), is this normal? I just want to make sure I diagnose any problems before I lose any plants!

Right now they are in partial sun (should I put them in full?) and I keep their soil very moist at all times.

Is it time to transplant? They are still in their original seedling mix (i think it was jiffy).

Thank you!!!

Christina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Brown spots on seedling leaves

• Posted by robeb Kansas City area (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 22:34

Your soil should not be kept "very moist at all times".
Do some searching on over watering seedlings.

o

I don't think Jiffy Mix has any fertilizer in it.

o

It's hard to tell from pictures but damage to leaves appears to be of chemical nature. I would Q associates with plant access to see if they might have misted plants with perfume, air freshener or similar oil based aerosol.

Could be a disease but it just doesn't fit the normal picture of disease progression.

o

No, I was wondering the same thing because my pepper seedlings have spots on the seed leaves and they are growing in peat/vermiculite in pots indoors. No chemical nature here. I just thought that they were mad about the infestation of fungus knats but the true leaves are coming out now. They look fine, but everything is very slow growing.

o

You need to use copper based fungicides which will slow down the spreading rate of bacterial infection and fungal leaf spots. You need to avoid using high-nitrogen fertilizers; with cultivars that are inclined to bacterial disease. The plant must be removed and destroyed. You can use blue sticky cards to reduce ‘Thrips population in plants.

o

marklucas, did you perhaps post on the wrong thread?

o

I thought I would add my two cents, fwiw. I used this same Jiffy organic potting mix and had terrible results! I planted half in Jiffy mix and the other half in the Jiffy peat pots (the ones you add water to) and only the ones in the peat pellet pots grew wonderful and tall! And even when I transplanted a few of the tomato seedlings into larger newspaper pots with the Jiffy organic mix, it stunted their growth! I will never purchase that stuff again, as my seedings looked just as sick and yellowish as the ones in your photo, but the others grew very well.
Later I started some in some homemade mix of pure peat and vermiculite and they did great.

o

I don't use seed starting mixes anymore just plant in potting mix. I also had terrible luck with organic Jiffy mix; it holds too much water and has no fertilizer in it. Tomato seeds are not tiny seeds and will come up just fine in potting mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here