Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Plant Out, Plant Out, ... by Zone, LFD

seysonn
9 years ago

Ok, We've passed the starting/germination in zones 6 ++.
April is here and for most of us in zones 6, 7, and 8 April is "Plant Out" month. So let us talk about Hardening Off and planting out all those seedling that we all babied for weeks.

I, for one, in zone 7B in PNW have started hardening off my matoes. It is a bit early but I want to beat the nature in its own game by extending my season. I have been planning and working on this since last fall by :

== Building a Cold Frame. It is a dandy little thing short of a greenhouse in early spring and in the fall. I have already germinating lot of veggies in there and I can shelter my matoes in there in case of an unexpected cold snap.

== Little Hoops over raised beds (3' x 6' by 3'tall). I have made them portable. So that I can use them where ever and when ever needed.

== Plastic Mulch: I will cover the beds with BLACK plastic AFTER planting, to keep the soil/roots warm AND keep out the excess rain water. In the words of G. Bernhard Shaw "Keep your feet warm and your head cool". That is what n how tomatoes like it. :)

We might not be in danger of frost anymore but our REAL warm summer like weather won't arrive until July. BUT I am determined to taste my first ripe tomato in celebration of the 4th. Again , I have planned and planted quite few EARLY tomatoes. Some of my seedlings are about 10" and stocky. and READY & WILLING to perform. YEAH !

So what have you been up to so far ? Are you also itching to get out there and plant ?

Comments (9)

• Julie Racster
    9 years ago

I am SO ready! I'm hardening off the cabbage this week; now that temps are better than TEN degrees (!) I'm feeling the peas, lettuce, spinach and cabbage.

Meanwhile I have more healthy and happy tomato and tomatillo seedlings than I could ever use. I really hate to let them go but with the next potting up I won't have enough space for them all under the lights anymore. Germination rate far exceeded last year, which is a pretty great problem to have!

Four more weeks (or so) under lights and these bad boys are movin' out. I'm jealous you're already there!

• qaguy
    9 years ago

Planted out Sunday. I only babied my plants for hours
    since I got them from a nursery on Friday. Also got
    a zucchini, 3 kinds of cucumber, 2 jalapeno and 2 cilantro.

Next is putting in the first level of my cages. Won't take
    long for that though. Already have the first levels built
    with identification labels. Just need to pound in the uprights
    and attach the levels. I use PVC pipe for my cages.

Follow the link to see how I do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: PVC cages

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, gaguy. You beat me.
    Where are you located ? , what is your zone number, LFD ?

Also of interest to know : What are your night low temperatures like ?

• jonathanpassey
    9 years ago

I am zone 5. My average LFD is May 10th. I am hoping my low tunnels can give me 10-15 days head start.

I have purchased wireless thermometers that will tell me more about how much warmer it stays in the tunnel compared to the outside temps. and over the next couple of weeks should have a better idea of how much they will help.

It has been a very warm spring for me but that can change very quickly so i'll just have to wait and see.

My seedlings are a couple of weeks old, and I am hoping to have them outside by the end of the month. I am putting them out in the sun when it is over 60 outside to start getting them used to the real outdoors.

I am in a new house and new city with low tunnels that i have never before tried so this is all an experiment. If my temps aren't good enough under the tunnels I will pot up and wait a few more weeks and plant in mid May.

jon

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jon

I also do think that with low tunnel you can extend your season 2 to 3 weeks, depending what your weather around mid April is. Extended forecast is a good tool. Although not a 100% accurate but can help a lot .

Right now it is about my LFD. But 10 days forecast looks good. Lowest of lows will be 42F. So I think there is a better than 95% chance that our LFD is behind us.

• qaguy
    9 years ago

I'm in Los Angeles, as my zone indicates. USDA is 10a

Mar 30 low was 55, Mar 31 low was 53, Apr 1 was 47.
    Average for March was 51.8, never got below 50.

Didn't get frost this winter. LFD is usually in early Feb

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

gaguy, you are home free. Your plants should take off like a rocket.
    My low tonight is supposed to be 38F. No worries, my seedlings are under the hoops.
    But for the next 10 days lows will be 42F or better. So I am getting ready to plant out soon. Right now just doing some hardening off.

Anybody else has planted out ?

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am itching and getting into planting mood.
    If it is not raining, I will start planting, a half a dozen or so this coming weekend and following Monday.
    Our highs are hitting 60s and lows are in low to mid 40s. This is a typical PNW spring weather
    I am going to try the "cool tolerant" like, SIBERIAN, SILETZ and LEGEND among others. I will plant only in one bed. So in case of very low nights, I can put my portable hoop over them. I am also making small cages from rabbit fence and wrapping them with bubble wrap. That should work similar to WOW.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FINALLY HAPPENED

Today I planted about 10 tomatoes. The seedlings had been hardened off already. Now tonight they are on their own, in their own home in the garden. Tomorrow is supposed to rain. So the day after I will plant some more.

TEMPERATURES:
    Not very warm. Lowe are around 42F and highs about 62F(average/median). We are getting more sun and less rain. Thats a plus here. If i have to wait til it gets real warm, it will be like in June some time. That feels like eternity to me :)
    I know that tomatoes can tolerate cool weather, though they might not grow much but I could not baby my seedlings inside anymore. They were close to 10" , some even taller. Once it warms up a bit, they will take off.

I aim at having some ripe tomatoes to celebrate The Fourth. That is not easy here at the PNW. Our zone number is just meaningless when it comes to summer gardening.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms