Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best combos for sauce/paste?

Posted by Mindyw3 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 21:39

Ive been reading that its usually good to mix another tom with paste types because the paste toms can be bland on their own. Does anyone do this and if so what are good combos youve tried?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best combos for sauce/paste?

It isn't so much a specific combo as ANY combo. Whatever varieties you happen to be growing. If you are growing only 3 or 4 varieties then mix them all. If growing 30 different varieties then it's even better. :)

I've made some great sauce using San Marzano, Beefsteak, Brandywine, Eva Purple Ball, German Strawberry, NAR, Opalka, Sun Gold, etc. well you get the idea. The more the varieties, the more complex the flavor.

Dave

o
RE: best combos for sauce/paste?

Most of my tomato friends switched from using just paste tomatoes many years ago b'c the taste of most of them, with some exceptions, is not great, they're more susceptible to BER ( blossom end rot) as well as Early Blight ( A. solani)

I could list the paste varieties that I think have great taste if you want me to but I also know that there are many many threads here already with those suggestions.

When choosing what to use to add to paste tomatoes for sauce I strongly suggest using as many heart varieties as you can b'c they have dense flesh and few seeds and great taste/ And also dense fleshed beefsteak varieties for the same reasons.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here