Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Tomatoes From Single Blossom With Good Flavor?

Posted by butterflylion 7bGA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 21:44

What are some varieties that produce good tasting tomatoes that are extra large from a single blossom? I read when some giant tomatoes form from clusters of blooms that grow fused together. I would rather have the traditionsl tomato shape and grow some that are maybe 2 lbs. or so with good flavor. What varieties would be good to try?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Tomatoes From Single Blossom With Good Flavor?

What you describe is common and most any of the so-called 'beefsteak' varieties will meet that need - depending on the growing conditions provided - including the one named Beefsteak.

And there are lots of them to choose from. Also many of the varieties with "Giant" as part of their name ie. Giant Belgium and German Giant.

Dave

o

Pruden's Purple was my largest and best tasting tomato last season. It never seems to disappoint.

o

The variety "Delicious " is the current record holder with a tomato over 7 pounds

o

I had a Gold Medal tomato at a little over 3 lbs. last year. It had good flavor.
I have heard that Big Zac is the best tasting of the HUGE tomatoes.
Grandpa Charlie & Grandpa Willie are excellent tasting BIG tomatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here