Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone grown/tasted Indigo Rose?

Posted by KCKook (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 22:30

I, like most, order very specific seeds online and I needed something to make the whole $4 shipping worthwhile at one place. (actually, I was really curious about this variety).

Has anyone grown or tasted it? I've not read any reviews about it being awesome for taste. Maybe just grown for the novelty/colour/high-anthocyanin?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone grown/tasted Indigo Rose?

It is a novelty. Flavor from my experience has been poor to mediocre at best. If you just want a few seed, I have about 300 send me an email.

DarJones

o

Thanks for the response Daryl - I already have seed. I guess I'll plant 2 & see what it is like.

o

I thought it was just released by Dr. Myers for this season so I doubt that many folks have had a chance to grow it and assess it but I know that several places have been offering it since late last Fall.

Carolyn, who agrees with Darrel that it's a novelty and I know I have no interest in it having grown the OSU P20 from which is was derived.

o

A friend from Portland, OR sent me some seeds, so I'm going to grow out one in a bag this season, as folks say as a novelty.

o

I'm growing it for the first time this year. So far the plants seem to be vigorous. At this point mine are all roughly 18"-24" tall and growing like weeds.

o

I grew the OSU/P20 last year, and I must have simply gotten an unusually good plant from the reactions I see around here. It was extremely hardy and vigorous (wind storm ripped it to pieces, I just stuck any branch with a green tomato on it in the ground, and all branches not only survived they proceeded to finish ripening the tomatoes and keep producing). The flavor was quite good, and the production can only be described as prolific.

I actually overwintered a couple of cuttings that I have already re-planted outside for this year. Everybody says how bad they are, but I love mine. They were much better than the big box tomato plants I bought.

The Indigo is supposed to be even better.

o

Our tomato nursery is selling Indigo Rose this year. I selected it because our sales of OSU Purple were good last season and our customers really loved it. I couldn't acquire the OSU Purple seeds this year, so I selected Indigo Rose.

I'm getting a lot of our customers coming in asking for the OSU Purple because they grew it out last year and it turned out to be a favorite of theirs.

I grew it out too, and thought it was not only interesting coloring, the taste, to me, was unique and fabulous.

o

This AM I saw a picture at another site which was in a thread titled in general, blue tomatoes or something like that which is one of many such threads in the breeding Forum there.

THe person owns a seed business and lives in NM and was showing that Indigo Rose has the same cupped leaves as so many of the blue derivatives do, but nothing to taste yet.

The plants if Indigo Rose were very healthy looking but the proof of the pudding , at least IMO, has to be the taste.

Carolyn

o

If nothing else, the IR seed I have has a fantastic germination rate. I'll be planting out maybe 5 plants. Hopefully my experience will be similar to some others in that it's tasty. People where I live just don't want 'strange' colored 'maters!

o

• Posted by DWD2 10a, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 2:49

KCKook, It is a new tomato just released for 2012. It is one of the varieties I am growing. My seeds germinated really well too. We will see how it turns out. I agree with carolyn137, it is fun to grow all sorts of different tomato plants, but it comes down to taste. It will be fun to see where this particular cultivar fits into that picture.

The press release on it from OSU is linked below.

Good luck with your tomatoes!

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU unveils Indigo Rose

o

Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 19:42

Sorry, I should have checked the link. It is;
http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/2012/jan/purple-tomato-debuts-'indigo-rose'

I forgot this system coverts ' to � and you have to go back and redo it it before posting.

o

Clickable link to DWD2's article:
http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/2012/jan/purple-tomato-debuts-%E2%80%98indigo-rose%E2%80%99

DWD2, apparently the gobbledy-gook is required in the address -- but different gobbledy-gook than you expected. That's all I know....

o

Here's an FAQ on OSU's purple tomato research. Kinda interesting ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Tomato FAQ (from OSU)

o

Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 5:46

missingtheobvious, What can I say about the gobbledy-gook. I just missed it. It's not like I did not already know. It should have been obvious. Color me embarrassed!

o

DWD2: don't be too embarrassed. We've all posted links that weren't quite what we thought they were....

o

Unfortunately, indigo rose is a spitter here. Love the contrast.of the dark exterior with the lime green interior.
The taste is how I think grass clippings probably taste.

o

• Posted by worlad SF Bay Area zone 9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 18:27

I'm growing about 6 of these pretty plants, they look great and are producing quite a few clusters of interesting looking tomatoes, still a few weeks away from a taste test. What I don't like is how easy their limbs break off, I use the Florida weave method in rows of 12 and just lifting the limbs a little cause them to snap right off, of the 25 varieties I'm growing IR is by far the worst snapper of them all.

o

I am growing one ( Indigo Rose) this year, but don't have ripe tomatoes yet, so the jury is still out on taste. It is growing a little slower than my others, but was planted later, and may be overshadowed by the large plant bearing orange fruit that was supposed to be lemon boy.

o

I've picked 5 or 6 tomatoes so far and I'm not going to criticize the flavor but I will complain about the color. All that I've picked turn color from one side purple-one side green to one side purple-one side orange. They remind me of the Baker Creek catelog pictures of the Purple Smudge variety. I would have spent less and ordered Purple Smudge seed if I knew the resulting fruit would look like this.

o

KCKOOK, They aren't ready if they are green. They will turn red under the blue color. They have a plum type flavor. They are really picking up in sales here.

Here are some pictures of the RIPE ones.

Photobucket

Photobucket

For the record, they are very dirty. I have been using misters in the high tunnel to keep things cooler (it has been working great) but we had a stop kick up a week ago and it blew more dust than rain. All the dust stuck to the tomatoes. I washes off, but the misters don't get it all. That is why the ones in top left look dirty.

Jay

o

Grown on grafted stock. No acid, no sugar, not much flavor at all. Very prolific producer--maybe 150 2 ounce fruits, but unless the skins appeal, little to recommend it.

o

Let indigo rose get fully ripe--softening, brownish color--and still no flavor to speak of.

o

I grew 15 different varieties this past season and they all got wiped out by BER, except the Indigo Rose (2 plants). After I learned what they were supposed to look like when ripe, I really liked the flavor.

o

I just harvested mine. I had left them on the vine up to now ignored because i was disappoined in the flavor of these when i picked the first ripe one in august which was totally tasteless. Then i decided to pick one and taste it again just before it frosted over here and it was so sweet. I suppose that the cool nights have developed the taste ( recalling on one of burpees black cherry intro a few yrs ago)
one other plus going for it here that it remained firm and crack free during the rains we had.
It was a very pretty tomato plant. Could be grown as an ornamental as well
Yes i would grow it again next year.

o

I planted one and it was extremely prolific. But my biggest complaint is it takes SO long to ripen! All the fruits were out and appeared to be at the biggest size they were going to get, like a large cherry, but they stayed green for the longest time. Plus mine were almost completely purple/black, not like the photos of jrslick, so it made it even harder to tell when they were ripe. I even had to lift part of the stem/cap off the top of the tom to see if it had ripened. The flavor is pretty good; mine actually had a bit of a tarter nip to it, which I liked. I may try it again.

o

It has been a very wet year here and this is the first time I have grown Indigo rose so my observations have to be considered inconclusive until I grow them in a normal season. But, thus far I love this tomato. It is the hardiest tomato I have grown in a long while. It has a strong trunk and stem. The tomato is beautiful and tastes great. Some have spoken about its color. The color is a deep purple where the sun strikes it and green elsewhere until it ripens and turns red. The color is caused by the large amount of anthocyanin that gives veggies their color; a healthful antioxidant. It is a small tomato and needs 80 days to mature. I will continue to grow it not only for its novelty/beauty but for its hardiness, healthful qualities, and its taste. We have actually eaten them before they are fully ripe...just turning pink...and they are even good then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here