Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indeterminates in a hoop (cloche) covered bed

Posted by Grim42 CO (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 22:37

I'm building a "cloche" raised bed for growing tomatoes. Kind of like a 4x8 hoop house. I want to grow indeterminate tomatoes but, most are 6'+ high and the cloche is about 4.5' high. Has anyone ever tried running them vertically up about 4' and then running them down to the side? I can try to make the cloche higher but that has it's own challenges. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indeterminates in a hoop (cloche) covered bed

• Posted by uncle_t Z6 Ontario CAN (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 18:54

From your post it appears you would like to use a protective cover for your indeterminates as (autumn) first frost approaches. Around here we can sometimes get a few days of Sept frost, only to have autumn continue warm until late October.

For this reason I string-trellis my tomatoes with a hook knot atop; so that when risk of frost occurs I unfasten the vines and CAREFULLY place them on the ground wrapped in a sleeping bag until overnight frost clears. Then I place the strings back on their hooks. I know it sounds unorthodox and weird, but it works for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here