Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is most sweetest, best tasting tomato?

Posted by tammyinwv z6/WV (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 23:00

I have seed for:
Caspian Pink
Black Plum
Sungold (now I see I should buy these)
Brandywine
Cherokee Purple
Mortgage Lifter
Black Krim
Ananas Noir
Super 100's (just bought)

Other than any of the above, what is your absolute favorite for sweetness and best taste? Or if you recommned NOT growing any of the above, I would like to hear that as well. I am tired of flavorless storebought fruit from store shelves or Walmart plants.
Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is most sweetest, best tasting tomato?

I WANNA KNOW!

o

I think you will find all of those to have variably sweet, tomatoey flavor with the Sun Gold and Super 100 probably the sweetest, the Cherokee Purple complex, sweet, wine-like tomato flavor, Ananas Noir on the sweet side and fruity, and Brandywine and Caspian Pink being old fashioned, rich tomato flavored.

You'll have to decide for yourself which is the best tasting tomato.

o

I can't wait to try sungold this year, it should be really sweet like everyone says.

As for beefsteaks I prefer a less sweet, more old fashioned flavor. Caspian pink is good, I am growing it again this year, but it is on the sweet side. Still makes a good sandwich and I also pile a few into sauce.

o

Best Tasting: Brandywine
Sweetest: Momotaro
Sweetest Cherry: SunGold

o

So in otherwords, what I have chosen is the best to start experiemnting. I traded for all but the super100, So I guess I will have to find some sungold to buy. Since I read you cant save those seed.
Tammy

o

No. No one said the list you chose "is the best" for anything in particular. You just listed a few of several thousand tomato varieties that happen to have good eating qualities. "Most sweetest," aside from being a double superlative, can only be determined by testing for sugar content. And "best tasting" is subjective.

What most people are saying is give those a run and find out whether you like them or not. They all are good tomatoes, and each has its own good and bad qualities.

o

Oh Ok, what I was wondering if those I chose "were" among the top sweetest and best? I if there was anything else you would recommend to try as being the sweetest.
Tammy

o

Not everyone agrees that sweetest are best tasting. At the organic gardening talk I attended, the professional tomato grower said that if you like sweet tomatoes, plant pink.

o

You have several different flavor types there

I would group-rank them this way

Sungold --sweetest fruity
Super 100's sweet
Would also recommend black cherry.

Brandywine - complex tomatoey-sweetish
Caspian Pink - complex tomatoey
Mortgage Lifter - not as good late season production as many other red-pink heirlooms in my garden.

Black Krim - complex- earthy, my favorite
Cherokee Purple- complex, tomatoey, not as earthy

Ananas noire, sweet, fruity, very pretty when cut, or really ugly depending on how you look at things. Fun to grow.

Black Plum - I was unimpressed. Seedy like large cherry, flavor was so-so. Huge plant lots of fruit, but can't cook with it because of high seed/gel to flesh ratio. I won't grow it again.

All in all I think you have a pretty good selection of flavor ranges. Caspian pink and Mortgage Lifter are probably interchangable but you don't need both. I would go for something like Neves Azorean Red, Omars Lebanese, Kosovo, Anna Russian or any one of several others instead of either one.

o

Thanks so much for the info. That really helps a lot spiced_ham
Tammy

o

Sorry Tammy but there is no answer to your question. ;) It will be totally different for all - depending on their taste buds. Even the same variety will taste very different depending on their growing conditions, the weather, what fertilizers are used, etc.

So all the answers you get will just be personal opinions - and they vary a great deal. Search 'taste' here (search bar at the bottom of the page) to see what I mean if you want to read through lots of previous discussions.

Best way to find out is to grow as many different ones as you have room for and see which one tastes the best to you.

Dave

o

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 14:17

Hi Tammy,

Unfortunately, you will have to decide for yourself what is the sweetest tomato for you and your area. And digdirt is correct. A tomato that you are totally gaga over one year might be the biggest disappointment in the garden the next year. There are so many variables that can affect your tomatoes. In fact, you can have a great deal of variation in a single season. If you water your garden, then it rains heavily for several days, your tomatoes will likely have a watered down flavor compared to what you would get under "normal" circumstances. (Not that you can really consider anything about farming/gardening as normal.) That is one reason experienced gardeners will usually give a new variety a second try if the results weren't what they expected the first time.

BT,DT.

Bets

o

Thanks Dave, and Bets. That explains a lot.
Tammy

o

The good thing is most tomatoes are productive so even if half of those work out you will have plenty. You are missing a round red. There is a thread on here round, red, and reliable if it hasn't been lost. Next year when you order pick up one of those.

o

helenh, I do have some early girl I bought. I forgot about those. I have never ate anything but red's, so I dont know how these others are going to go over.
Tammy

o

Stick with the new ones, you'll like them.

o

And I will second (third?) the "it completely depends on where you are gowing them" because I also am a "sweet tomato person", and ones I have tried that are many people's favorites are BLECH in my climate and soil (i.e. Isis Candy and Cherokee Purple, to name two)

Your best bet is to do what you are doing, ask everyone, try their favorites, and see if you like how they taste in your garden. If the tomatoes everyone else loves are not sweet to you, assume it is because their soil/climate is different than yours.

That being said, in hot sunny Sacramento, my favorite sweeties are Jetsetter, Moskvich, Giant Belgium, Homesweet, Miracle Sweet, Sungold, Golden Honey Bunch, Tami-G, and last but not least, the tomato that won me $2500 for being the sweetest tomato in Sacramento, Jumbo Jim Orange.

Carla in Sac

o

Arguably you have a good list of varieties to grow, but when you ask for sweetness, you are pushing the envelope pretty far. Most sweet tomatoes have relatively little tomato flavor. The current sweetest cherry on the market is Sungold, but that is about to change. There is a cherry tomato in the works from seminis that will brix 12 even under poor conditions. We may see it on the market next season.

The absolute sweetest and best flavored tomato I have tasted is a segregating selection from a cross of Sungold and Little Lucky. If it can be stabilized, it will set a new standard for good tasting and sweet tomatoes. Here's hoping it makes the cut.

The more varieties you have grown, the better the comparison you can make of good versus average flavor. I've grown well over 1000 varieties.

DarJones

o

According to totally tomatoes 2010 seed catalog page 19 the sweetest heirloom is the Giant belgium . "so sweet that some growers use them to make wine"

o

Thanks Darjones. sounds like you have quite a bit of experience. I have only had experience with 4-5 common store bought varieties. So I really dont even know what a real sweet tomato taste like. I really doubt these common ones stand up to the others. I am going to try several new ones this yr. The only old standby I have is early girl.
Tammy

o

I agree that each person will have to check what is the "best" taste according to their own palate and preference. That being said, here are my picks.

1. Purple Russian. Plum type (shaped like roma) Low acid, aromatic, and (subjectively) sweet with great tomato flavor. Does not need salt for tasty fresh eating. Makes incredible sauces and salsas, too. Drawback - fruits crack easily if you get a rain near harvest time, I usually pick mine a bit green and let them ripen on the counter.

2. Caspian pink - different complex of flavor than purple russian, but many of the same comments could apply. Almost a beefsteak type, not at all a plum-type like purple russian. I've found they make tasty sauce, but need a lot more cooking because of more water in them.

3. Black Krim. Think a beefsteak type of Purple Russian with some earthy-ness (almost hints of a root vegetable) in the aroma.

NOTE - all of the above are INDETERMINATE types, which means the vines will go crazy and spread everywhere. Unlike determinate types, these will not form a nice upright compact bush. They need staked, and the flimsy wire cages from the store will be too small and also too weak to hold them. I build a ladder-trellis from 1x2 wooden slats for mine, with 6 inch squares all along, and secured at the ends of the row with steel "T" fence posts. I've had Purple Russian vines that were 8 feet high.

o

my faves are cherokee purple for eating, san marzano for sauce making and sun gold for cherry. i have grown roughly 150 types of tomato over the years. sun golds do tend to crack like crazy though...

o

Everyone will say taste is subjective. This is my experience:

Black Plum: small, not bad tasting, prolific but TONS of gel and seeds and volunteers everywhere if you let any fruit hit the ground... Not overly impressed. Cute little bugger tho.

Sungold: Very sweet, prolific - a value add for sure.

Brandywine: my experience has not been positive. VERY sparse with fruit (not complaining) but I didn't find the taste to be that great in my garden. I'm in Z5 MA and it really didn't do it for me.
Cherokee Purple: worth it's weight... prolific, great tasting, pretty, texture is loooovelllyyyy! I think this is the love apple that got me HOOOKED. Value add for sure.

Ananas Noir: Not impressed. HUGE fruit, odd colored, pretty (UGLY), but not impressed with flavor. BUT lots of people love it.

o

What I think is the fun of thinking about the sweetest tomato you've ever had. For me, a first-time grower of tomatoes with a choice of: Red Brandywine, Pink Brandywine, Early Girl, Arkansas T, Beefsteak, German Pink, Big Boy, Mr.Stripey, Black Krim, and Cherokee Purple...... I would choose the Black Krim with the German Pink a close second. Although there was that day that all the Travveler's came in and a bunch a people were over and one thing led to another. Bacon on a platter, tomatoes on a platter, and a loaf of bread. Its all good.

Also, I like to taste test my tomatoes from the lower side. Half inch or so,cut, and eat the bowl leaving the skin....at first. Anyone...??

o

The tastiest tomato I ever ate was one of the big, red-yellow marbled ones, probably Pineapple (my memory is a little hazy 25 or 30 years later). It was grown by my uncle in soil he'd tended and enriched for 40 years -- which may have contributed to the perfection.

IMO, tomato sweetness isn't as important to the flavor as the correct balance of sweetness and acidity. To take some extremes as examples, I find Supersweet 100 too candy-sweet and lacking in depth (I loved the old, original Sweet 100), while Rutgers, though unsurpassed as a canning tomato, is too acid and not sweet enough for optimum table use.

My tastebuds find their perfect balance in the older beefsteaks, both heirloom and hybrid.

If your portion of WV is climatically similar to PA north of Pittsburgh and you have heavy, yellow-clay soil you are likely to find that the Big Boys and Supersteaks that grow like weeds for my father do well for you.

Your tastebuds may not agree with mine or anyone else's but experimenting with various varieties over the years is part of the fun of gardening. Enjoy the journey.

o

Apparently, none of you has grown and tasted Sunsugar, an orange cherry. According to the Pinetree Super Seeds catalog, the Sun Gold has a brix rating of 8, while the Sunsugar has a brix rating of 10. My previous favorite for sweetness had been Sweet Million, but Sunsugar has replaced it.

o

I would vote for Sungold or Sweet Million, but I have yet to grow Sunsugar, so it may very well be the sweetest. Sungold is deffinitely up there though. :)

o

Sweetie cherry tomato is the sweetest tomato with Suncherry second to that.

I have never found sungold to be "sweet" but it is our favorite because it has that big tomato flavor in a small package.

We tried the German Stripe last year and it had no flavor. Kellogg's Breakfast was delicious! We also grew Aunt Ruby's German Green and it had the right blend of spice, tang and sweet.

Taste is so subjective. ;-)

o

I actually really like the flavor of Black Plums (used them in Annie's Salsa last year, too), but I wouldn't call them sweet at all. My Ananas Noires were mild and lightly sweet. Personally, I'm not that big on sweet tomatoes, but my grandmother loves them and her favorite last year was White Currant.

o

I grew sungold from a plant I bought from a nursery last year. They were sweet, and I was picking every day.

o

Cherokee Purple. I have not found any other that is even close. I grow Brandywine Pink and Red, Morgage Lifters, and this year, in addition to the above, Pineapple, Golden Egg,Amish Pasta. Still looking for one better than Cherokee.

o

I love Brandywine but equally loved chocolate strioes, itamian heirloom and 1884 tomatoes from Tomatofest. All were delicious, sweet, and had right amount of acid.

o

Kumato was bred for high sugar content. A very nice tomato and it grows true if you save seeds from store bought fruit.

o

The sweetest beefsteak tomato that I have grown is the Mr Stripey. There is a smaller cultivar with the same name but I have yet to grow it. The large one drops blossoms and is a late producer but some get bigger than a softball and are very sweet. Two cherries that I thought were very good were Jenny Hrbrid and Orange Paruque. Both are hybrids,orange in color and very sweet.

o

Q: " What is most sweetest, best tasting tomato?"
A: One that has sugar sprinkled on it .

o

I will never grow Caspian Pink again, 90% of the fruit rotted or got sun scald. Black Cherry is over rated in my opinion, I don't think its very sweet at all. Brandywine makes too many mis-shapen fruit for me.
Of your list the two I would plant for sure are Cherokee Purple and Sun Gold, and maybe Black Krim.

o

• Posted by earl SW Ohio 5-6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 18:30

Earl's Faux

http://www.feldoncentral.com/garden/photos/v/memberphotos/earl/earlsfaux/

o

• Posted by wog1 none (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 26, 12 at 8:32

I really do prefer Ananas Noir It is simply superb with a nice blend of everything. Sweetness, flavors, sugars. Best all around. I also like Black Cherry. I was finally able to grow these this year, my third try.

o

Wog1, glad to hear that. I just started a couple of them the other day primarily for the color (yellow, green, and pink in one fruit? Yes please!), and its good to hear that its worth eating as well. =)

o

Your not going to get a strait asnswere here, half of these people work for seed companies.

o

bump

o

"Your not going to get a strait asnswere here, half of these people work for seed companies." sic

No, that's sure not true.

o

Most of these tomatoes listed I have never even tried to grow. One mentioned I did try thyree different times was Mortage Lifter. Never did do well for me, sorry.

o

tennessee britches is a excellent tomato both taste and
production, will be in my garden every year. gleckler seed co. has them
fred

o

The sweetest for me is Ramapo it is an heirloom from a farm in NJ not a box store and the reason is its the only one I can get to grow LOL

o

So many Tomatoes, so little time.
Last year my Brandywines were so so, this year they are awesome. Maybe they like triple digits. Black Krims are pathetic this year, Cherokee Purples are doing great.
I don't think there can be a straight, or right, answer. Just keep trying till you find your own true love.

o

"Your not going to get a straight answer here, half of these people work for seed companies"

You are mistaken. It is fairly common and a courtesy when posters mention where they purchased the seed. Since there are thousands of different tomato varieties, locating a particular one can be time consuming.

o

I agree with whomever it was that said,"The best tomato is one that has the proper balance between sweetness and acidity.", And with all the folks who said ,"It varies with the growing conditions and individual tastes." My long time standby for flavor and proplifics is Rutgers, but for flavor I prefer Earls Faux. I tried Black Krim and Cherokee Purple for the first time this year. To me the Krim was lacking in acidity. The Purple is very good.
My neighbor grows Early Girl only because it's early and better than Gro store tomatos but not a lot. Lol

o

Cherokee Purple

Black Krim

I planted early May this year and these set on before the high temps. These were large and I could not tell the taste difference between the two.

Big Beef have been a fav but are very small this year. Rutgers set on heavy early but the later ones have something funky going on with the fruit. Have only had 2 Brandywine to set on and have few blooms on the new growth on any of my 16 plants right now.

o

In zone 5 WI, hot/dry June and rain the past two weeks, my Sungold are consistently amazing and sweet. Huge, prolific plants as well.

Cherokee Purple, Green Zebra, and Roma are disappointing so far. Perhaps it's because I'm comparing it to the Amish Paste (Roma-shaped, but juicy). Amish Paste was so sweet, complex, and lovely I almost cried.

Good luck experimenting with different varieties!

o

Persimmon and Ferris Wheel

o

Chocolate Stripes.

Delicious!

Cindy

o

Well what won this years Tomatopaloza was the "Mexico Midget" and one called "Shannon's".

Here are the voting results.

Shannon's and Mexico Midget (tied at 5 votes each)
Cossack Pineapple and Dester Amish (4 votes each)
Black Cherry, Cherokee Purple, and Sungold Hybrid (3 votes each) Anna Russian, German Queen, Orange Heirloom, and Strawberry Margarita (2 votes each)

I pretty much agreed with the results although to me the best tasting was Cossack Pineapple with the Mexico Midget second.
The Cossack Pineapple is really what is called a "Ground Cherry" though not exactly a Tomato.
But it was tasty as could be.

The Mexico Midget which was VERY tiny, like the size of a regular pencil eraser on the end of a #2 pencil was very good amazingly. Almost sweet with a very nice tomato flavor.

o

I live in the far south of New Zealand and am addicted to tomatoes - have them every morning on toast - yummy! My father grew them in a glasshouse as long as I can remember. He only grew one variety called potentate. It was medium sized, very sweet/sharp tomato flavour and loved by everyone in our neighbourhood. Recently I have started growing tomatoes also, and my favourites for sweetness have to be the cheery ones: sweet 100 and this year black cherry - it is simply amazing - complex flavour and quite prolific - the one plant I tried has grown to a huge size (in a glasshouse) and is currently in full production - i am picking daily (and loving it!!). Outdoors I am growing the ever reliable Russian Red - it can handle cool nights and has amazing flavour. I like to try one or two new varieties and my next one will be SunGold - I have 5 plants ready to grow in our glasshouse and hope it is as good as everyone here says. Happy Gardening..!

o

The great thing is that you'll eat a lot of fresh tomatoes trying to figure it all out. I have taste tested many on your list, some of which are regulars every year for me. I really like black krim, and brandywine for eating. I grow cherokee purple every year, and for me, it's a good slicer but not the best. I grow it for production, size, beauty and to provide diversity for my sauces.

My favorite fresh slicer is Julia child. I think it's fantastic because it has a complex flavor with high sugar and has a tart after finish. The sweetest tomato I have grown to date was Amana Orange, and it was tasty. Other varieties that have gotten my attention are Brandywine OTV, Bull's Heart, Italian heirloom, and most of the blacks

o

Thanks for all the fantastic replies. These help to narrow down my search. Funny, i am now on my second seed order since i started this. I recently ordered Opalka, Omar's lebanese, better Boy, and considering Stupice. Not to mention the seeds i already have acquired thru GW trades etc.
Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: My seed supply

o

Opalka, Caspian Pink, and Black Plum are among my favorites.

For a sweet tomato, SunSugar F1 tastes better than Sungold F1. Sungold is prone to splitting (even in dry summers) and has an aftertaste that I find unpleasant. The first one is good, but I get tired of them early in the season, whereas I like the SunSugars all season.

I grew Striped German last year and it was juicy and sweet. I'm not sure I'll grow it again, because it too juicy for tomato sandwiches, but it was great on its own. Also, it was a late tomato, and I got a lot of them all at once.

Pink tomatoes are among the sweetest. I've also liked Marianna's Peace, Marizol Bratka, and Pruden's Purple.

o

Tennessee Britches is sweet but complex, with hints of acidity, but balanced more to the sweet side. A very dense and juicy tomato. If raised right, it beats all others, including Cherokee Purple.

o

Favorites, favorites, favorites. It really does depend on where and how you grow them. Soil conditions, temperatures, sunlight, watering, ALL of these can make a BIG difference from one garden to another, and even in the same garden from year to year.

In addition, with some tomatoes it matters a LOT about when you pick them. Some tomatoes need to be picked just as they barely ripen, and taste bad if too ripe. Others don't reach full complexity until they are good and ripe. So you need to experiment with each type.

Just because you don't get the same results with a tomato that someone else has reported, doesn't mean they aren't great tomatoes. It might all be due to your local conditions, your growing and your picking choices.

That being said, I am a BIG fan of SWEET tomatoes. I can't even list all of my favorites, but some of them are:

Sungold
Sweet 100
Isis Candy
Black Cherry

Green Zebra (Pick before too ripe. Over-ripe not recommended)
Eva Purple Ball

Mr Stripey (the BICOLOR, not the smaller OTHER type)
Black Krim
Cherokee Chocolate (MUCH preferred to Cherokee Purple)
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Marianna's Peace
Almost ALL Bulgarian tomatoes (tend to be sweet)
Italian Sweet
Stump of the World

I could go on more, but try a few of these and you probably won't be disappointed.

o

Goose Creek is a distinctly sweet tomato, to my taste buds.

o

Taste is subjective as far as best taste goes. I prefer tomatoes to be balanced with tartness and sweetness. And I don't mind if they are on the acidic side since I'm a fan of acidic tartness(I love vinegar)

o

Taste is subjective, but there are tomatoes that a great majority will consider TASTY.
To me, the aroma is just as important as taste. In that respect I like the ones that sometimes are called "COMPLEX". I have tried and liked : BrandyWine, Cherokee purple, Black Krim, Julia. Otherwise I like juicy and a bit acidic ones too. Not so crazy about sweet ones.

o

Hi, Well, only second year growing but out of 15 varieties last year - Matt's Wild Cherry by far the sweetest. Since they are small, you'll be doing the two for me, one for the basket while harvesting for the solid month period. A strong second place is Mortgage Lifter and third is Cherokee Purple. Stocking half the space with these.
Trying 8 additional new varieties this year due to research and hot tips by people and the desire to only grow great tomatoes. Average and OK ones are NOT ok. Trying Black Krim, Rutgers, Paul Robeson, Dester, Italian Heirloom, Speckled Roman, Lederle, and Belgian. Peace

o

My nickname is The Tomatoman - for giving loads of them to neighbors. I've now grown more than 150 varieties (trying 10-12 new ones each year). To me, a perfect tomato is very sweet with just enough acidity to give character. The top 10 best ever (in no order) to my taste buds:

Lemon Boy
Black Pineapple
Pineapple
Pruden's Purple
Red Pear
Wapsipinicon Peach
Tye Dye
Clear Pink Early
Pink Girl
Americanskiy Sladkiy (American Sugared)

Lemon Boy has been absolutely sweet and delicious wherever I've grown it - midwest, Oregon, coastal and mountains of CA. It is also one of the most prolific and problem-free. It and the Red Pear (for snacking) are two "must-grows" each year.

Tye Dye is wonderful - if you wait to pick it. It seems to color up way before being fully ripe and sweet. I found it to have a great ability to set fruit in hot weather, when other varieties took a break.

This coming season I'll be trying Blush, Purple Russian, Honey Hybrid, Omar's Lebanese, Momotaro, and Red Garden Peach for the first time. From the other postings, seems like real good eating ahead.

Isn't it fun to start little bitty seeds that turn into big tasty tomatoes?

o

Last spring my favorites tied with Isis Candy and Pearly Pink. I didn't have time/space to grow any of the big maters out, but loved the two I'd chosen. This year be growing a lot more types, and sure my tastes will change.

o

Last year I grew tomatoes for the first time. I did a lot of reading/research and grew two cherries. Sungold and Sweet Baby Girl. Sungold was definitely sweeter and at it's peek almost reminded me of a grape. Sweet baby girl had a very good tomato flavor almost like drinking a v8 without all the salt, it didn't crack good size and pretty sweet but the taste of the sungold won hands down for me. This year I am growing Sungold, Nectar, Sweet Chelsea, Sunchocola, Kelloggs Breakfast, Black Krim, Black from Tula and San Marzano if it makes it. One guy that does brix test and compares that against acidity says nectar is even sweeter than sungold. I have my hopes up :) I really like the flavor of the kumato I am hoping my brown tomatoes will be even better tasting being they will be home grown. I will report back with taste test once they are ready.

o

This is almost 4 year old thread and the question lingers on.
Actually it is TWO question in ONE:
--- Sweetest ---- AND---- Best Tasting --

There seems to be little debate on sweetness because it is a QUANTITATIVE matter and can be determined by measuring sugar contents. For example, SUSUGAR has a brix of 10. Who can deny that it is not sweet.

But "The Best Tasting" is a SUBJECTIVE and personal evaluation. If you like, eg, sweeter tomatoes, then your "the Best" tasting tomato should not tast tangy and acidic. Look somewhere else.

I personally like variety of tastes, color and aroma. I prefer Red over PINK and ORANGE over pale YELLOW.

o

Several years ago we did a blind taste test to find the best tasting sweet tomato. There were 12 " blind people" and Caspian Pink won hands down. Some of the ones in the running were: Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter, Amish Paste, Goliath, Better Boy and don't know what else.

BTW, does anyone have Caspian Pink seeds? I can send some Pink Ping Pong and Halms Gelbe in trade. (Picked those because they are unusual and great tasting.)

o

I am going to try Sunsugar and Indian Stripe this yr
as I have heard they are productive and sweet.Has
anyone had experiece with either.I finally found seed
for Indian Stripe at Victory seeds.It appears to be hard to
find.
Tom

o

If you wanted to add one more, my pick would be Kellogg's Breakfast or KBX for something sweet and totally different. They both are often on "favorite" lists. I have grown several on your list and Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter (Estler's specifically), and Brandywine are on my must grow every year list. But that may change as I try yet more new ones. :) Sweet 100 is very good and Ananas Noir is on my list to grow this year.

o

Red/Yellow bi-color tomatoes are very sweet and can weigh 2 pounds or more. I grow them every yr.

o

Also in CHERRY size, Sungold and Sunsugar( brix 8 and 10) are said to be very sweet if not THE sweetest.

o

Here's a few suggestions for those trying to decide on tasty tomato varieties. There are a bewildering number of types, but these have proven to be consistently my sweetest and most productive favorites as I've moved around the country.

Large reds: It's hard to beat the old classic "Beefsteak"

Large yellow: Lemon Boy - ignore the name. It's sweet.

Large bicolor: Pineapple or Mary Robinson's

Large pink: Pink Girl - super sweet and juicy

Medium pink (bush type): Clear Pink Early

Medium bicolor: Tie Dye - sets even in midsummer heat

Red cherry: Sugar Lump - aka Gardener's Delight

Yellow cherry: Sungold

Small oddball: Wapsipinicon Peach - delightful sweetness

I also have to add Red Pear for garden snacking - very few make it to the house.

With the exception of Beefsteak, which has a full rich old-fashioned tomato flavor, all the others have the high levels of sweetness that I prefer. None are bland.

Donch - In the foothills of the Sierras, Zone 8A

o

Sungold,Momotaro,Jet Star

o

"Last year I grew tomatoes for the first time. I did a lot of reading/research and grew two cherries. Sungold and Sweet Baby Girl. Sungold was definitely sweeter and at it's peek almost reminded me of a grape. Sweet baby girl had a very good tomato flavor almost like drinking a v8 without all the salt, it didn't crack good size and pretty sweet but the taste of the sungold won hands down for me. This year I am growing Sungold, Nectar, Sweet Chelsea, Sunchocola, Kelloggs Breakfast, Black Krim, Black from Tula and San Marzano if it makes it. One guy that does brix test and compares that against acidity says nectar is even sweeter than sungold. I have my hopes up :) I really like the flavor of the kumato I am hoping my brown tomatoes will be even better tasting being they will be home grown. I will report back with taste test once they are ready."

Well I grew all that I listed and Sungold still came out on top as the sweetest best tasting cherry I have had. Planted one sunsugar as well and I couldn't tell the difference in taste except maybe the skin was just a tiny tiny bit stronger. My kellogs breakfast was grown from seed from rareseeds and the KB was bland, tough and mealy. They did grow to be very large 2lb tomatoes but didnt produce much fruit. The Kumatos I grew didn't produce much they really seem to not like full sun and were just big wilty plants without much fruit. I am not fulling around with them next year. Out of all the full size brown tomatoes the Black from tula was probably my favorite (very tough decision) but no where near as sweet as a sungold. I think the sweetest fullsize tomato I have had is the regular old pink brandywine. Next year I am only growing sungolds, cherokee purple, black krim, black from tula, pink brandywines and san marzanos. I would really like to cross a brandywine with a sungold and also a sungold with a sanmarzano.

o

I've gardened in several different states/climates, and have found some tomato varieties that are consistently sweet and delicious - and others that vary area to area, and others that I'll never grow again.

Sungold is always a flavor favorite, but Red Pear, Momotaro, Pink Girl, Pineapple, and Lemon Boy are also very sweet and flavorful anywhere that I've grown them. The Red Pear is addictive - can't stop eating the juicy-sweet little gems. Thank goodness the vine produces dozens and dozens of them all season long.

o
RE: What is sweetest, best tasting tomato?

My favorite is (or was) the Dona, but I have not been able to find it recently, and I did not think to save seeds. It had the best flavor by far of any tomato I have had and had the perfect balance of sweetness to acidity. Everyone that I gave these tomatoes to agreed with me.

I always bought the plants, but I guess I will have to settle for seeds if I want to grow them again.

Lars

o

Wow, what an enduring thread ... better late to respond than never!

My vote:

The sweetest tomato is any tomato of 1000's of tomatoes that are generally sweet, is the one you grow yourself, planning, putting care, fertilizing, cultivating, pruning and training if you so choose, and then protecting, and finally harvesting successfully against all odds, blights and critters, on a day filled with warm sunshine or seized from a premature visit of Old Man Winter ... whichever gives you your sweetest mood and if you are lucky, it gets twice as sweet if you can share it.

The more you love your tomatoes, the better they seem to taste! "taste is subjective" has been posted here for the last 4 years, and this is how I think about it. Also, first impressions really count.

PC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here