Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fireduck

Rotate tomatoe crops???

fireduck
10 years ago

Next year I may move from container growing (been successful) to raised beds. However, I am worried about diseases if I plant tomatoes year-after-year in one spot. What is the truth on this?

Comments (9)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

There are a lot of discussions and differing opinions about this if you do a search.

I rotate mine, just because I have the room and I like to plant things with different nutrition needs in place of them.

However my Dad never did and he had no problems. I think the key is if you have a disease one year then rotate the next.

JMHO, but someone with more knowledge will probably counter.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Many don't have the space to rotate and do just fine. Crop rotation is primarily a commercial grower issue, not a home garden issue.

Dave

• qaguy
    10 years ago

Go for it! I've been doing that for years and, thanks to good
    maintenance, production been getting even better as the
    years go by.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

production been getting even better as the
    years go by.
    &&&&&&&&&&&
    There is no direct co relation there. You could be doing some other things very well. Me Thinks.

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

I'm planning on rotating my raised beds. I don't think it will make much of a pest/disease difference since the beds are all right next to one another, it's more for the nutrition issue, and just to try something different for the hell of it.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I don't think it will make much of a pest/disease difference since the beds are all right next to one another

Good point since the most common tomato diseases are airborne fungus caused, not soil related.

But it is easy to solve the nutrient issues too when you have to leave them in the same spot - lots good soil amending at least twice a year.

Dave

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I'm wondering about this too. I have a small garden and only 6 hrs of sun in the prime location where my tomatoes always go. I had my beds on a N/S axis and so the tomatoes would go in the north end of the beds. I would try to rotate them to the south end, but then they shade the rest of the garden.

We're about to build new beds and I'm planning some beds on the N/S axis and some on the E/W axis. That way I will grow beans and peas on the N/S axis and the tomatoes on the E/W and I can at least change beds back and forth. I could move the tomatoes to the East side of the plot too, but then I am getting into shade issues again.

But maybe that will work ok in that third year when the tomatoes are on the East side of the plot, and the other two years, they should be great. That's an improvement over what I've had at least.

• drcindy
    10 years ago

I had a small raised bed, about 8x8, for a good 10 years, and primarily grew tomatoes in them. Because it was such a small space, I wasn't able to rotate. They always seemed to be fine for the most part, except last year, when we coincidentally had the best summer ever! I think there was some sort of blight- the plants didn't totally die, but parts of them, especially the lower parts, turned brown, fruit production was really low, and the plants never really took off, i.e. spindly with little branching. This year, I was lucky enough to purchase a greenhouse. I've built two 3x12 raised beds and will rotate the tomatoes between the 2 beds from here on.

• StinkyOnions32
    10 years ago

My previous expierience, adding compost every year before planting, or putting in a legume in the spring before planting your toms. will be beneficial by putting nitrogen back in the soil you will also notice your fruits will be larger and healthier when the previous crop has been a legume..hope this helps!