Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigeworld

smokers over the wall

bigeworld
16 years ago

my neighbors puff a lot of tobacco that come over wall will this make my plants sick? my toms are in the best place for sun but are getting smoked on every night.

Comments (5)

• elskunkito
    16 years ago

yes, sort of
    tobacco mosaic virus
    don't let the smokers handle you plants.
    from http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1168.html

The most common sources of virus inoculum for tobacco mosaic virus are the debris of infected plants that remains in the soil and certain infected tobacco products that contaminate workers hands. Cigars, cigarettes, and pipe tobaccos can be infected with tobacco mosaic virus. Handling these smoking materials contaminates the hands, and subsequent handling of plants results in a transmission of the virus. Therefore, do not smoke while handling or transplanting plants.

• seedboy
    16 years ago

Don't worry about it. Tobacco Mosaic Virus is very rare. Tobacco growers have invested millions of dollars to ensure their plants don't have the virus. I would be more worried about tobacco allergies from that annoying smoke wafting into my home.

FYI, tobacco makes an excellent insecticide. Maybe you could soak your neighbors' butts in some water and use their butt juice to spray your plants, lol.

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

TMV hasn't been a problem for over 20 years b'c US tobacco has been TMV tolerant for that long. Before that there were isolated problems with it, primarily for commercial farmers.

Turkish tobacco is not TMV tolerant.

Most hybrids have TMV tolerane bred in b'c I'm told it's easy to do but these days it's the large commercial growers who occasionally have problems with it in their greenhouse operations.

The information online about it may change in another generation and it's the same story with BER which so many sites just repeat what was and not what is in terms of new studies.

Carolyn

• jbann23
    16 years ago

Carolyn, an interesting observation. The indian tribes out your way sell cigarettes at a much lower tax free rate and I've noticed on the bottom of some of the brands a stamp that says "import fee paid". You don't suppose Turkish tobacco could be present there do you? I'm thinking that importing Turkish tobacco would be too costly and maybe tobacco from South America would be less expensive. I really don't know much about that industry, just thinking (typing) out loud. I'd rather find a source of cheap Daconil and forget about TMV, you too? Best Regards.

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

Carolyn, an interesting observation. The indian tribes out your way sell cigarettes at a much lower tax free rate and I've noticed on the bottom of some of the brands a stamp that says "import fee paid". You don't suppose Turkish tobacco could be present there do you? I'm thinking that importing Turkish tobacco would be too costly and maybe tobacco from South America would be less expensive. I really don't know much about that industry, just thinking (typing) out loud. I'd rather find a source of cheap Daconil and forget about TMV, you too? Best Regards.

Yes, the Indians on the reservation just below Syracuse do sell cigarettes more cheaply, and possibly on the St. Regis reservation at the Canadian border as well,but I've never heard of that "import fee paid" mentioned before.

I think that it means that b'c they're on the reservation they are an independent area and so have to pay an import fee b'c I know what they sell are US brands.

And for sure I'd rather find cheap Daconil and I don't worry about TMV anyway. ( smile)

Carolyn