Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solorya

Mold from Miracle Gro

Solorya
11 years ago

I re-potted a few tomato seedlings last weekend from a bag of organic Miracle Gro. When I opened the bag there was a bit of mold (at least I think, it was white fuzzies) on the edges but as it was all I had at the time I used it anyways. Now there's white mold on the surface of the soil of the pots. Anyone else experience this? Should I re-pot them? (for the record, I don't like Miracle Gro's support of GMO research but it was the only organic soil available where I was)

Comments (7)

• subtrop
    11 years ago

And in addition to that I'd sprinkle cinnamon powder on the soil surface. It works as a natural fungi inhibitor.

• Solorya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both. I do have a fan running in the room because I thought that might be the issue, but I will scrape it off and try the cinnamon as well.

And I'm going out of town for a bit and my mom will be watching the plants...I'm sort of betting on her to forget watering every couple of days :-) That's why they're in the larger pots now.

• potterhead2
    11 years ago

Please tell your Mom NOT to water "every couple of days"!!!
    In those large pots it will probably take a week (at least) for the soil to dry out. You should only water tomatoes (and most plants) when the soil is pretty dry. poke your finger in a couple of inches. If you feel any moisture, do NOT water.

• Brenda Maher
    8 years ago

The soil I have is moldy in the bag. This is the second bag this year I have purchased with the same problem. Stupid me.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would only use soil less potting mix for start and seedlings. They are also organic but most without living organism in them. I even sanitize them with peroxide solution to prevent any fungal growth. Once potted and taken outside, it is another matter.

Sey

• Labradors
    8 years ago

I bought a huge bag of MG Organic one year and didn't read the back of the bag until I had filled all my large planters. It said "not for containers". Thinking that it might smell bad and THAT was the reason, I didn't panic and left my plants in that soil and they did poorly.

As Seysonn says above. It really is best to use soil-less potting mix for containers and especially to start seeds (because they can be prone to damping off disease). I learned the hard way!

Linda

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida