Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering Experiment

Posted by tim45z10 sdca (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 23:49

If I were to dig down a foot or so and bury a pie tin, would this be of any benefit?
Tim
Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering Experiment

Sorry Tim but I can't make heads or tails out of such limited info. Benefit to what? For what? Can you explain exactly what you are talking about and why? What is it you are trying to accomplish?

Dave

o

I am trying to use it to capture water as it drains. Maybe this would allow me to use less water.

o

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 14:02

Since this is a tomato forum, I'm assuming that you have sandy soil and want to increase the water retention for your tomato plants. I can see some problems with your assumption.

First, in ground tomatoes usually have huge root systems, much deeper than "a foot or so" and definitely wider than the 9 or 10 inches of a pie pan.

Second the water capacity of a pie tin that is filled with sand (or soil) would not be significant.

So....

Amend your soil. Lots of compost and organic matter will help with water retention. You could even work in some of those water absorbing/releasing crystals. Add more compost and organic matter. It helps sandy soils retain water and heavy soils that don't drain well to drain better.

I hope that helps.

Betsy

o

Agree with Betsy. Consider these facts. First water doesn't drain straight down. It diffuses. So you'd likely catch less than 1/4 of the water added in the pan. Plus the pan would be full of soil so even less water would go into it.

Second you are assuming the plant roots would go straight down into the pan. They don't grow that way as Betsy said.

Third, a pie pan, even if it was full of water, is nothing to an established tomato plant.

Sorry but your plan, as you have described it so far, just won't work in any way.

If you have something else in mind then you will have to provide a great many more details. Minimal info provided tends to get minimal responses.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here