Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

High Tunnels are Finished

I finished both of my high tunnels this week. They are 18 feet by 42 and 18 by 45 feet. They are of my own design. I posted a few pictures 2 weeks ago of the frame.

Just fyi, they are made out of 1 inch pvc spaced on 3 feet apart. They have 4 foot side walls. The PVC is connected with 45 degree couplers at the edge of the side walls. With all the added bracing wires and support poles, they are very strong (time will tell). They cost me about $500 to build a piece. I am hoping to get at least two years out of them in this location before I move them.

I would have planted tomatoes in one of them, if I wasn't going to be gone on Sunday and Monday. I didn't want to leave them at home to cook!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Facebook Photo Album of High Tunnel Pictures

Comments (17)

• mulio
    15 years ago

Having lived out there and knowing the wind

Im curious on how you have anchored the frame to the ground.

• sprtsguy76
    15 years ago

Looks tight. Well done.

Damon

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mulio-

Wind, yea I have that. It doesn't help that we live on top of a hill also. The corner posts are set 4 foot in the ground and the line posts are set 3 feet in the ground. It isn't going to move. The plastic will break before the posts do.

Thanks!

Jay

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Looks great Jay! Lots of good growing room. Now you only need to cross your fingers that no spring hail storms come. What gauge plastic did you use? Do the doors on both ends open? Good through and through breeze?

Here's hoping you have a great growing season!

Dave

• timmy1
    15 years ago

The heck with the remay...

You need heat! Catfacing, blossom drop, purple stems etc.

Your going all out, might as well heat it, next season!

• geeboss
    15 years ago

So timmy1 with your great experience how about some pointers for us who are dreaming of a hoop home for our maters? What have you found out during your growing experience. Sliding doors? Inground plumbing? Wood burning Stove for those cool fridged mornings and nights that mother nature always brings when you least expect it. What do you use for the hail? Teflon coating?

George

• timmy1
    15 years ago

Geeboss,

I gladly give some suggestions.

Just start another thread, I don't want to be rude hyjacking jrslick's thread.

He has done a great job and it's a lot of work setting one of those up. I know it's much better than outside, he's going to get a good crop no doubt.

Tim

• mulio
    15 years ago

5:20 CST

I heard a report of a 91mph gust in a thunderstorm near manhattan

I know youre not in mahattan but wondered if you missed that or how you're holding?

• mulio
    15 years ago

This is east of Jay

03/23/2009 0514 PM

Se Eskridge, Wabaunsee County.

Non-thunderstorm wind gust e65 mph, reported by trained spotter.

8 inch tree blown down.

• timmy1
    15 years ago

Jrslick,

Did you send a soil test of that ground in there?

Original Author
    15 years ago

Still hanging on, First your questions.

Dave- It is 6 mil Klerks K-50 plastic greenhouse film. Yes both doors open on the ends and the sidewalls come up the full four feet.

Mulio- Where do you live? Are you from Kansas? We didn't have 91 mph gusts here, but 60+ was reported close by.

Timmy1- Yes I did do a soil test for the hoop building soil and for all my garden areas. I follow them and the recommendations very closely. I always have good results.

YES I am still here, yes my hoop building survived. I have been gone since Sunday at noon. We took our daughter to Kansas City for some medical tests on Monday. While we were gone,we had wind. Sustained winds from 30 to 40+ Gusts to 50-60+ mph, I was told. There are small building blown down. trees blown down, power lines down, Hoop building battered but STANDING TALL!

As I said before, we live on a hill. No wind block, no trees, Just wind and a view of the country around us. It is not uncommon to be able to see 20-30 miles on a clear day.

I have learned to build things strong. I knew if I wanted to grow in a hoop building, they had to be strong.

They did sustain some damage, I won't lie, one would expect this with 40-60 mph winds! I am just glad that I was not here to see it. I would have yelled the whole time!

3 pipes broke and poked/ripped 2 bigger holes. About 3-6 inches long. Nothing a little tape and patch won't fix.

Along the sidewalls, I did suffer a few marble size pokes, more tape and the plastic is stretched, I will tighten it up on a nice warm CALM day.

Several of my guide/brace wires broke. Pulled one of the center support posts almost out of the ground and loosened up all the posts. I reset the pulled up one and hope the rest will tighten back up with time. The end walls have a slight lean to the north. They were perfectly level at one time!

I was able to replace the broken pipes, reattached all the fittings, tightened up the ropes that go over the top, fix the broken wires, added some bolts and pulled the ends back tight. All in all, I am very impressed with how well they stood up to this wind. I have seen high wind for a few minutes, but not 40+ sustained winds for hours at a time.

I will post a few pics, when I have time.

Thanks for thinking about me, did anyone else get damage?

Jay

• gringojay
    15 years ago

Hi jrslick,
    It always seems unlikely, yet high wind will lift deep set posts up out of the ground. You essentially have a huge sail area that does the yanking as it billows & slackens.
    It is hard to regain lost traction by merely resetting the posts in their original holes; because when working loose they widen their space & ram the walls of their hole into a compacted slick slot.
    Take a look at all anchor post spots & consider driving rough angled stones down into that new gap right next to the loose in-ground post.
    Also, you might get to the situation where adding an angle brace will be a neccessary patch on your uprights. When use an angle brace give the ground end of the brace bar it's very own sunken anchor post. This is where you can start to use some concrete footings without re-making the hoop house.
    You are probably already using big galvanized turnbuckles for tensioning some things. It's a good adjustable method for reducing slack where that shows up over time.

• mulio
    15 years ago

I live in KC but our nws includes the incoming from KS in reporting.

Used to live in Manhattan and still have family there. It was the weather radio that reported 91mph in a thunderstorm gust near manhattan.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Gringojay- Thanks for the information. The post I reset I redug the post hole, set the post to the proper height and re packed the soil around it. I actually set it a little deeper.

Mulio- I was just in your area, it was really gusty driving home Monday. It doesn't surprise me about the wind.

Jay

• timmy1
    15 years ago

Take a long 1/2" drill bit, drill down through the center of the post at a 45* angle about 6" above the ground. Drive a 4 foot long 3/8" re bar down through the hole and into the ground.

• timmy1
    15 years ago

When you do put in your heat, you can install a web cam in there to keep an eye on your heater. I have a dialer alarm that calls my cell phone as well. It's nice to look at your heater running on a cold night with just a mouse click!

Check this link!

The heater in the front is a hot air wood furnace and the one in the back is oil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heaters

• marandalovesveggies
    15 years ago

Hey there! N.C.S.U. Horticulture department, I'm currently taking "Vegetable Production in Greenhouses and High Tunnels". I can't wait to see your pics!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!