Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gelatodave

Slow tomato seedling growth // Fast zucchini growth

gelatodave
11 years ago

Hello everyone,

This is the first year I am attempting to grow all of my plants from seeds. I started a little over two weeks ago and everything was going according to plan. The tomatoes sprouted in about 3-4 days and I immediately put them under a full spectrum grow light (8000 lumens). They get 18hrs of light per day and water every other day. The zucchini plants are growing really well, but my tomato plants have just stopped growing after about 1-2 inches. Its been over two weeks since germinations and they have purple stems and the undersides of their leaves are purple as well. I read somewhere that a Phosphorus deficiency could cause the purple color when the plants are in cooler environments. My plants are in my apartment and the temp never goes below 70F. Really hoping they sprout some true leaves so I can transplant and start adding fertilizer. Any advice for what I might be doing wrong? I have attached 3 images for your convince. Thanks!

This post was edited by gelatodave on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 23:55

Comments (13)

• gelatodave
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tomato seedlings around 2wks/o

This post was edited by gelatodave on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 0:07

• uncle_t
    11 years ago

Actually, those seedlings don't look too bad. It takes about 10 to 14 days from the time they sprout (not planted) for true leaves to appear. So you should wait another 3 or 4 days. The purple stems are a healthy indicator.

You could also try potting on the existing pellets (in their entirety) into containers with humus rich soil mix. You don't have to upset the seedlings to do it. Open JUST the bottom of the pelleted fabric and place the entire pod into the larger container that holds humus rich soil. Give them a good watering from the bottom. The roots should find the better soil mix on their own. You can do the same with the basil.

This post was edited by uncle_t on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 4:53

• durant7
    11 years ago

I hope that I might piggyback on this post. Zone 4 in NH with plenty of white stuff still outside with a May 25th in garden target date.

I too am undertaking my first serious year of starting tomatoes indoors. I have read at the FAQs and listened to a few folks. Things are going ok so far but.....

In the last picture there are two seedling next to each other. When growing a plant, should you thin down to "one trunk" per pot or is it ok to have three trunks and transplant the whole "bunch" outside and let them mature and "fruit out" that way? I have a mix of determinate and indeterminate if that has any bearing on the best way to manage seedlings.

• harveyhorses
    11 years ago

Sticking my nose in though I am no expert. I usually let them grow next to each other in whatever they are started in,and potted up in. but when the go in the ground I very carefully separate them. It has worked for me. I can't abide just thinning if I can get two viable plants. (or three)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

First, trying to compare squash growth to tomato growth is apples to oranges. Squash normally grow at 10x the speed of many things. One reason why they are normally direct seeded in the garden. That plus they are a summer crop not a spring crop.

Second, look at the BIG difference in the growing mediums you provided - big containers of potting mix vs. multiple seedlings coir pellets. No comparison there either. Separate and transplant those tomato seedlings into small containers of potting mix and they will take off.

And check out the Growing from Seed forum here. There are great FAQs there and many discussions about the various steps in growing from seeds.

Dave

• gelatodave
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to let the tomatoes go a little longer in the grow pellets and then transfer to a larger pot with soil. I will post pictures next week.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

I think you should cut back to one plant per peat pellet soon. I did that with my seedlings in 2.5 inch pots as soon as the first seedling in the pot showed signs of forming a true leaf. I planted my tomatoes 15 days ago, and they all have one or two pairs of true leaves and stand 3-4 inces tall.

11 years ago

Here's a photo of my seedlings 14 days after the seeds were planted. These are mostly large heirlooms.

OK. I will admit that I'm showing off my gardening companion as well as my tomatoes.

• uncle_t
    11 years ago

Beautiful photo!

• DeRoseMatt
    10 years ago

My tomato seedlings are at that stage right now. I plan on thinning and potting up. And transferring them to the window to slowly harden them off.

10 years ago

Sun through a window will not harden off your plants. They need exposure to fluctuating outside temperatures, mild wind and UV rays from the sun.

• DeRoseMatt
    10 years ago

I left that part out sorry.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

Ohiofem, I think your cat is getting a tan under your lights, was s/he white before hand? LOL

Great pic!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville