o
Best tomatoes for juice ?

Posted by salthart NC (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 0:06

I am looking for suggestions for tomatoes to grow for juice. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best tomatoes for juice ?

This is a frequent discussion over on the Harvest/Preserving Forum here and just as with sauce, most agree that the best tomato juice is made from a mix of many different tomato varieties rather than just 1 or 2 varieties like the commercial juice makers use.

I grow 20-30 different varieties each year and they all make it into the juice and sauce the wife cans but if you prefer a more commercial flavor then grow the Heinz and Campbells varieties they use.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Campbell Seeds

o

I do the same as Digdirt. What makes it into the juice is anything that tastes good on a sandwich or just raw. So, I have everything from small cherry types to large beefsteak types that are over a pound.

If it tastes good off the vine, it will make good juice.

Ted

o

Give Kellogs Breakfast (KBX) a try. You might be pleasantly surprised and so might the individual you let try it and then tell them it's tomato juice.:) Ami

o

Aren't Kellogg's Breakfast and KBX different tomatoes? Would they have the same effect in juice?
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/KBX

o

If you want a light and fruity juice, Garden Peach is delicious and prolific.

Carla in Sac

o

KBX is the potato leaf version of Kellogs breakfast which is regular leaf.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here