Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lololauren

Desperately seeking: "Wasatch Beauty" tomato seeds

lolauren
11 years ago

X-post on Heirloom Plants forum...

My grandma-in-law is looking for seeds from the tomato variety she grew up eating, Wasatch Beauty. Her dad was a farmer and only grew that variety. Unfortunately, this isn't an easy seed to find. If anyone has any available, please let me know.

Thank you.

Comments (14)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Here's the results of a Google search linked to below.

The second link is to Tania's superb website and no seeds available.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Wasatch_Beauty_Improved

Dan and Val have passed away and no seeds available.

Most of the links in the Google Search below refer to it as being a parent of Gill's All Purpose variety.

One of the links suggests the Wasatch one dates form 1947.

Don't bother checking the Tomodori or Ventmarin links since no seeds are sold there, no references to where seeds might be sold, just informational links for tomato varieties..

Perhaps someone here has more info than I do.

But do check that Google link below to see if any seeds are available.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Search

• lolauren
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for looking! I checked google for over an hour before I posted this thread. I found one site that sells seeds and claims to have thousands of varieties (including this one.) I emailed but have yet to hear back. Since it's the only site I could find, I'm not sure they actually have it.

Also, I found a 1914 US government article mentioning Wasatch was one of the 5 or 6 most popular tomato varieties at the time.

Grandma said it was a red tomato and tasted acidic. She hasn't had any in decades.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

I'm curious.

Which site has thousands of varieties and lists the one you want?

I know many sites that list thousands of varieties, but as I said above, they don't sell seeds, their websites are for information purposes specifically and only.

And there are sites that list a Master list of varieties of their own stock, but only sell the ones featured as being for sale at their websites.

Carolyn, who does hope you can find this variety, fingers crossed,

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

This might be the same site you found http://45thparallelseeds.webs.com/tomatoseeds.htm

They claim to have it in an "improved" version. But the site seems awfully unprofessional and inactive, 2 years since an update, lots of "under development" tags on various pages, email contact only, etc. Just a skimmed assessment of it.

But I thought it might help in case you weren't aware of it.

Dave

• lolauren
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The one site I mentioned is the site Dave linked to.

Carolyn - I hope I can find it, also. If I can't, I'll buy her some Gill's All Purpose so she can see if she likes it. It won't be the same, of course. I think it's rather sad that these heirloom varieties die out like this. :(

This post was edited by lolauren on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 22:04

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

I know the person who owns 45th paralell seeds and what you're viewing is his master list, and I mentioned above that some sites do that. Remy at the Sample Seed Shop also has a Master list but then lists the varieties for sale.

Right now I don 't even know if he's selling many seeds. He recently retired, and is growing a boatload of varieties, but as for sales, I know at one time last year he was selling a package deal of more common varieties.

I just checked out Earl's website and it clearly says that it's an inventory list only, so no seeds for sale from that list.

At one time folks accessing the site got directed to another site for what he calls a package deal for about $20, but I don't see that, maybe I was reading too fast at the site linked to below.

A Google search brought up many links to his site but it was only this one that listed the Wasatch Beauty one on the inventory list,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Earl's Inventory list

• lolauren
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I understand. I emailed to see if that particular seed was available, which is what his web site says to do (it says the 2013 list isn't available yet.... which makes me think it will be.) As currently as last year, he was advertising the Wasatch Beauty variety for trade on a couple other tomato forums... so, I hope that is still the case.

If not, is it worth a shot to talk to local nurseries/farmers where she lives? *shrug* I'll probably try; I know it would mean a lot for her to grow that variety.

This post was edited by lolauren on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 10:10

• northernmich
    10 years ago

relatively easy...my email is posted, all you do is ASK :)

Earl

I do have thousands available for sale, only those needing growouts are unavailable and I currently have 1700 varieties.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Long time no see Earl.

Do you miss me as I do you? ( smile)

Carolyn

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

Wasatch Beauty is also in ars-grin.

PI 647229, Solanum lycopersicum L. SOLANACEAE (tomato), 'Wasatch Beauty'

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Yes Darrel, but you know the general public does not have access to them from the USDA/GRIN database.

You have to file an application and indicate how you're going to use what you request mainly in breeding projects or for documented educational purposes.

Thank heavens it wasn't that way in the 90's when Craig LeHoullier and I were able to get out lots of good ones.And folks before us did the same, but then it got ruined for others, well,I won't go into that.

Carolyn

• northernmich
    10 years ago

good to see you are doing well Carolyn

been busy settling in to the new house and getting ready for winter

that and seeds everywhere on the bed in the loft

My Wasatch Beauty Improved seeds are going to a farm in WA, the party above never contacted me that I know of.

Hoping to save this variety and I hope I can contact the above party when we have produced more seed.

Earl

• northernmich
    10 years ago

"I found through a Google search that you may have Wasatch Beauty tomato seeds.

I have been looking for these for a long time, my uncle used to grow these here on the farm back in the 1940's and 50's. We are trying to bring back the old traditional varieties as part of our efforts to re-establish small scale agriculture here in the Spokane valley of Eastern Washington. I am an experienced seed saver the seeds I get from you will become the foundation stock for rebuilding this lost local variety."

I gave all but 4 seeds to this gentleman.

Earl

• northernmich
    9 years ago

Farm came through....I got a box of seeds from my loan to them...fresh out of WA state.

Need some, contact me for these rare seeds!