Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thirsty_dirt_77

Another Post on Yellow Tomato Leaves

thirsty_dirt_77
10 years ago

Not to beat the subject to death, but I too have tomato seedlings that are starting to get yellow leaves.

I have seveal different types of tomatoes planted but the ones that are yellowing are the Bradywine Heirloom, and the Sweet Heart (cherry tomatoes.)

They were planted in Schultz Seed Starter Mix in trays where the cells are 2" wide and 4" deep. They are about 4 weeks old and look like strong heathly plants - the Brandywine are close to 5" tall with stocks about 1/4" thick and the Sweet Heart are about 3.5-4" tall. They are under a grow light and receive 16hrs of light per day - the largest plants are within an inch of the light.

I have had a bad habit of overwatering in previous years so I limit my watering to 1 - 2 times per week.

The seedlings have always had noticably purple stems as well as on the underside of the leaves. Recently I've noticed the purple on the underside has become darker (maybe just because the leaves are bigger and its easier to see.)

Also tonight I've noticed that a few leaves are starting to yellow - mainly the cotyledon and the larger, first set of true leaves. Most plants are probably on their 3rd set of true leaves.

Is this yellowing a cause of concern? I have some liquid seaweed fertilizer - would a dilute solution of this help? Could my light be too close?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia