Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something chopped off my tomato plant

Posted by tim45z10 sdca (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 0:43

I bought a golden jubilee yesterday. This morning I noticed the plant was chopped off at ground level. It had to be a wild critter. Never happened before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something chopped off my tomato plant

tim45z10, it's not clear to me if the upper part of your Golden Jubilee was left, or if the critter took it away for his breakfast.

If the stem was simply severed and the top was left on the ground, it was probably a cutworm. To keep that from happening when you plant tomatoes, you can wrap a piece of toilet-paper roll around the stem (under and above ground); some people use other things.

Anyway, if you still have the upper part of the plant, you can stick the stem in the ground (deeper is better), water it well, and it should root. Maybe give it partial shade while it's recovering.

You might get sprouts from the root ball too.

If the critter took the top of the plant away for his breakfast ... well, IIRC people usually aren't certain which critter to blame. I grow in raised beds and haven't had that problem (yet).

o

It was probably a deer if you have them around because they ate all mine off last year and I had to start over.

o

I use to have that problem with the deer, but i found out if you eat them first the tomatos are fine.

o

cutworm

o

I have cut worms...the best solution I found is:
when I first plant them to put a tooth pick on two sides of the stem..to make it appear thicker to the cut worm. If he cant get his body around the entire stem he can't cut it. This does not stop the stem from growing thicker, and I will remove the tooth picks later in the season..(I sometimes use long wooden ones skewers)i just to make sure those cut worms are not deeper in the ground...It is awful to have a plant cut off like that...
Martha Zucchini

o

Thank you for your help. I did put the top in root hormone and water. I will plant it in the ground. Thanks for sharing that. The culprit is a cut worm. I saw one out there a couple weeks ago.
What can I do about the cutworms?
Thanks all for your help.
Tim

o

Protecting the stem is your best bet to keep cutworms from tomato plants. I also wrap the stems of small seedlings of other types of plants.

A Cooperative Extension article on cutworms:
http://www1.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/cutworms-in-home-gardens/

Here's an old thread from the veggie forum:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg030720511303.html

Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT) kills any caterpillar, though not immediately:
http://www.saferbrand.com/advice/insect-library/garden-insects/all-about-cutworms/control-options

o

I planted the top in the ground as suggested. It is growing, albiet slow. I put a lawn chair to provide shade. Thank you for the help.
Tim

o

I think the lawn chair is an amazingly innovative idea for shade!

Glad to hear the plant is coming back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here