Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mutant Tomato ? Pics

Posted by dickiefickle 5B Dousman,Wi. (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 0:59

I have a Black Cherry plant that is 6 inches tall,the top stops with a leaf .
One the left side a single leaf sprouted. A new growth tip between the main stem and the leaf branch is growing ((like a sucker)
On the right side a branch is growing,about 1/2 inch from the stem it has a leaf and another 1/8 inch farther on the branch it has a grow cluster sprouted on the branch (not in the crotch area) the branch continues another 2 inches ending as a leaf.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mutant Tomato ? Pics

Yes, what you see is due to a mutation and isn't all that rare.

Another common mutation is when the seedling first puts out the cotyledons what appears is not true leaves on a leader stem but a nub of green in the center. Most of the time that nub of green sits there and doesn't do anything and sometimes, but rarely, a side shoot will comeout of that nub.

I call them blind plants as do some others but others call them something else that I can't remember right now.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here