Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deformed seedlings

Posted by tlyn589 Ontario, Canada (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 1:06

Hi Folks,

I started my seedlings about 3-4 weeks ago, under a florescent light fixture. The light was closer at first, but was recently moved up to about 2 feet above. They get 12-14 hours of light a day, and a watering each day. Some days I set the fan on low, other days I leave it off.
They do not seem healthy to me. The undersides of the cotyledons (baby leaves) have turned purple, the tops of some seem burnt, and they have curled inwards toward the stem (see picture). The first 'true' leaves are not leaf like at all, but instead seem curly, hard and stem like. Most have not produced any true leaves, but just little nubs where true leaves should be.

I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong and whether or not I should abandon them and start over??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deformed seedlings

I am having the same problem with tomato seedlings this year. I've started my own seeds for years and have never had this problem. I had noticed some knats hovering over the flats and treated for possible fungal knat infestations to no avail. I have used different seed mixes, new flats and seeds from different companies, but all of the tomato seedlings I have planted look just like yours. I have seen others posting about this same problem on other sites this year, as well. Anyone else having this problem?

o

There's definitely something wrong with your plants. Since you don't even know what's the cause of the problem, let alone how to fix it, I would recommend starting over.

It's not too late to sow new seeds now since end of May is the usual planting time for southern Ontario.

If you're going to start over, try a different mix for your seedling. I'm guessing that's the source of the problem.

Daren

o

and a watering each day

There is the cause of your problems with the tomato plants. More seedlings are killed by over-watering than all other issues combined and seedlings don't require daily watering. The soil in the picture is clearly far too wet.

However the cabbage plants or whatever they are behind them in the photo appear to have some form of pest damage.

Dave

o

Yes they look very wet. Light is not the problem but two feet away is too high. I planted lots of different tomato seeds this spring. A few had knobby tops and funny leaves and those were from old seed. What is your planting medium? Something is very wrong there, starting over sounds right to me also.

o

Did you make your own media?
Or did you "fix" a store-bought mix with something?
If one or the other, what are the ingredients?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here