Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
giant tree tomato problem

Posted by thattan Illinois (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 3:34

First time giant tree tomato grower. I have fresh seedlings just breaking the surface, now my problem is I don't know exactly how much water or sun is needed due to the fact that my two year old daughter decided to lose my info stake. I cant find any info on-line and it's very frustrating. I could really use some insight.

P.S.
Trying all organic.....Yikes!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: giant tree tomato problem

Do you actually mean an ordinary tomato called a giant tree tomato variety, as there are several types about ???
Or do you mean that other type of tree tomato that is not a real tomato at all, but a form of tropical fruit that looks like plum tomatoes on it.

If it is the latter then the treatment is a bit different and can only usually be grown in a large greenhouse in temperate zones.If so you usually stick it in the ground for three or four years and feed it occasionally -I cant quite remember if it is called Tammarilo or something like that.

o

Hi as stated before there is tomato called giant tree tomato or itallian tree tomato and a tree that is not a tomato but has simmilar fruit (parts of the fruit are toxic) if it is the real tomato put it under lights or in a very sunny window and then slowly harden it off like you would any indeterment tomato. Ifit's the tree I would forget trying to grow it in the UK unless you have lots of expert knowlege about growing in greenhouses IMHO.

o

Giant Tree is the name of the tomato variety so you'd grow it as you would any tomato. It's not giant and it's not tree-like; I've grown it.

The other one is usually just called Tree Tomato, aka Cyphomandra betaceae, aka Tamarillo, and is a tender shrub that has small red fruits that resemble a roma tomato.

There was a bit of a craze about tomatoes during Victorian times and that's when this tender shrub was dubbed tree tomato. The fruits are not poisonous but don't taste anything like a tomato and the fruits are used in the cuisines of India and other places in the far East and many in CA and other such temperate climates grow them as well.

From reports form others, who usually buy the plants from the Sunday Supplement ads where this actual tree is shown, ahem, say that fruits are quite acidic and not for fresh eating.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here