Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Mortgage Lifter , Great or What ?

seysonn
10 years ago

Lets talk about Mortgage Lifter. There are 2 kinds we can talk about but I am personally interested about the one from RADIATOR CHARLIE. Never grown it before, but I am fascinated by the man, his story and work.

OK. this year I started all may matoes from seed, without mail order. I got most of them off the racks and store bought. But I could not find Mortgage Lifter.

EUREKA ! EUREKA ! EUREKA !
I was in HD yesterday and I found a ML seedling. GRABBED it. @ $3.65 plus tax( almost 4 bucks), for a 5" pot size seedling, it was not cheap. But that is Bonnie price tag for just about anything. But that is ok. I am glad not buying any more tomato plants. In fact I might give away half a dozen or so.

BY THEIR FRUITS ...you shall know them.
Probably this is going to be one out of 5 large fruited tomatoes that I am growing this season. I hope that I will keep my faith in Radiator Charlie, as a legendary tomato person. This tomato has a story, a name and a man behind it.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ?
Lets talk some tomato talk. Not just any tomato, but the one with a story that can be made into a books and movies.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 0:40

Comments (23)

• bigpinks
    10 years ago

The last RC Mortgage Lifter that I grew was labeled improved and it produced well but I am an Estlers addict. Its my favorite tomato for ten yrs running. I like them for their more globe rather than beefsteak shape, size, dependability, productivity and taste. Cherokee Purple for ex doesn't like my heavy clay soil and falters right beside an Estlers with 24oz fruit and smaller ones higher on the vine. I've had a 37 oz Estlers so far and am eager for a 40 oz one. They taste great too ..jmo. I do grow the Indian tomatoes in a diff location and they are fast gaining on the big pinks in my approval ratings.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

If I were going to grow a ML again, which I won't be doing, I too much prefer the Estler one.

From the lnk below you can see that the Estler one was made available many years before Charlie Byles, Radiator Charlie, of Logan WV announced his.

From the link you can also see it was Chuck Wyatt who first introduced the Estler one and where he got his seeds from and my seeds were directly from him. There's also newspaper documentation about the Estler one coming before the Byles one.

If I had the time I'd do a search here b'c I know there are many threads, and Edie's name will show up as well.

A relative of the Estler family, Edie, has posted here several times about it, actually looking for seeds since she lost hers. She found some, and I was also offering seeds for it in my recent seed offer elsewhere.

From the link you can see how many ML's there are. They are almsot all the same if grown out in the same season, as has been done, with the exception of Estler's which is more uniform and more tasty as noted by many, and I forget the other one now, but the foliage is different.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Estler Mortgage Lifter

• suncitylinda
    10 years ago

Although I lean toward tart reds, I grew RC Mortgage Lifter several years ago and thought it was quite yummy! Infact I have some seedlings ready to plant out right now.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I found a ML seedling. GRABBED it.

Was it labeled as to which kind of ML it is? Don't know which variety of ML Bonnies is growing but it is most likely RC. They might be able to tell you.

I regularly grow RC and have grown Quisenberry and Estler's too. But I'm weird as RC is my personal favorite for flavor.

Dave

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Was it labeled as to which kind of ML it is?
    Dave,

I have to check the label. But Bonnis only have RC Mortgage Lifter in their site..

How tall/big does the plant grow ? I want to know where to plant it (Taller ones, on the back/north).

Thanks for discussion.

EDUT?UPDATE:

The labels just says Mortgage Lifter. But The picture depicts RC ML, ( beef steak type) not round like Estler's.

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 20:28

• shermthewerm
    10 years ago

I had trouble finding Mortgage Lifter this year, too. But during our 3-day snow storm this winter, wasn't able to leave the house so I spent a lot of time on my computer reading about gardening. Stumbled on a website who offers free heirloom tomato seeds--they have quite a good selection & you get to choose 6 different varieties. Anyway not sure if you'd ever heard of it--WinterSown.org--thought you might be interested for next year (although I don't know which ML it is--hopefully I'll find out soon my little ML is already potted up & is growing great!)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Yes Sherm, many of us know about wintersown, run by Trudi.

The only problem I know of is that seeds are donated to her, a few are ones she saved seeds from, so one never knows what you'll get as to seed purity.

She addresses that VERY clearly at her site with that disclaimer.

Carolyn, who always encourages folks to buy a certain percentage of their OP varieties from the many small family run companies b'c it's they who do the most for seed preservation, which only can occur if folks grow something, save seeds and then pass them on. There's a great FAQ here at GW at the top on how to prevent cross pollination of varieties .

• hoosier40 6a Southern IN
    10 years ago

Does anyone have a source for Estlers?

• bigpinks
    10 years ago

I could part with maybe a doz or so. I have 2 doz seedlings under lights so I am in pretty good shape and the greenhouses here sell the plants starting in May.

• hoosier40 6a Southern IN
    10 years ago

Thanks bigpinks. I was just trying to line something up for next year. If you want to trade over the winter I am growing:

NAR
    Italian Heriloom
    Big Beef OP
    Pantano Romenesco
    Opalka
    San Marzano Redorta
    Anna Russian
    Armenian
    Prudens Purple
    Cherokee Purple
    Stupice
    Kelloggs Breakfast
    Green Zebra
    Black Krim
    Yellow Brandywine
    German Pink
    German

• shermthewerm
    10 years ago

Carolyn, I really think the wintersown is a great resource, and yes I did see the disclaimer. I didn't realize it was so well-known (or I was just the last to know!). I'm not new to gardening, but I am fairly new to starting from seed & I'm interested in saving seeds, eventually. I totally agree in supporting those who are preserving OP's. Do you have any recommendations of family-run companies? I love building my seed stash! I haven't tried any where near the tomatoes you have, but I'm always willing to try new varieties! Looking forward to seeing what I actually got from wintersown (Paul Robeson, reisentraub, mortgage lifter, kellog's breakfast--apologies for my mis-spellings). They did include a few other varieties, and some pepper seeds, too.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Let us talk about ML growth habit, DTM, production, fruit size ..

Bonnis states that ML has a DTM of 85 +. I just planted mine. So should I expect ripe tomatoes by early to mid July ? I KNOW that DTM is a ball park figure but has some relevance. Incidently, my seedling had tiny buds . But I pinched them off.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 0:44

• bigpinks
    10 years ago

whosurtomato......sounds like a deal.

not sure on DTM but here along the Ohio River I plant out most of the time mid May and would maybe pick a big pink by late July. Maybe weather changes this up or down?

• trudi_d
    10 years ago

WinterSown is a small family run company. Many of the seeds are donated, either as commercial stock or saved by growers, the majority you would recognize as well known names across all the tomato forums. I grow some of my own stock (every year some from GRIN seed) and I also purchase bulk--frequently. The Mortgage Lifter seeds are from a reliable source, if they aren't what they're supposed to be I would be very surprised, we all would be.

Since the collapse of America the Beautiful Fund, WinterSown is a primary source for free seed for organizations or individuals--it is vital that the stock be reliable, people grow WinterSown's seeds not for fun but for food. Currently, there is a huge health care initiative across the country to teach folks simple garden skills to help supplement their own plate with fresh food that they grow themselves, I help a lot of organizations with that--yesterday I mailed seed to a state education organization that will be sharing them at a health fair held at a presidential library. When it comes to the seed I aim high. (Puffs and polishes fingernails on imaginary lapels.)

WinterSown is going full tilt boogie here with groups getting their seeds for Earth Day, the 22nd. Six Pack and Tomato requests are just peaking. I'll still be busy sharing seeds for a few more weeks and then I get to slow down and work part time instead of 70 hours a week. I need a break ;-O

T

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Seed at WinterSown

• shermthewerm
    10 years ago

Well, I sure appreciate what you're doing, Trudi! I had no idea you were involved with WinterSown, although I had seen many posts by you here on GW. Thanks for all your effforts in seed preservation. All of the seeds that I received were planted and are doing well. Had a little trouble with the Mortgage Lifter germinating, but got one on the 3rd try.
    I hope things slow down for you soon!

• Corgikarma
    10 years ago

Bigpinks- I am also located in SOhio. Are you still willing to part with an Estlers? I can trade for something else :-)

• bigpinks
    10 years ago

I am pretty well set on what I like to grow but have a few seeds if you want them.

• trudi_d
    10 years ago

Thank you BigPinks! I went to your page and cannot PM you, please email me. Use the link below and hit the green email button, it will open up an email pane ;-)

Shermtheworm, I cannot contact you either here, please email me too ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: WinterSown.Org homepage

This post was edited by trudi_d on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 8:39

• ABlindHog
    10 years ago

trudi_d
    As someone who has benefited from your tomato seed offer, and for the opportunity to pass along seed to others by way of your company I would like to say,
    Thank You for your gracious efforts.

• trudi_d
    10 years ago

You're very welcome! You've helped to put some food on empty plates. Most of my group requests are hooked up with shelters and foodbanks, I know the folks appreciate the good fresh food.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    10 years ago

Actually, this year, I ordered my plants from Darell at Selected Plants, which should be here sometime mid-May. I hope to high heaven that we're not still having snow by then! We're trying to get the house in some kind of showable order this year so we can get it sold and move to Alabama so my seed-starting didn't happen this year. (I've about had enough white stuff to last me the rest of my life!)

Seyson, just for comparison sake, I will be interested to hear when you harvest your first tomatoes. My MLs usually go in the ground mid-May with my first harvest about mid July.

Edie

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Edie, good to see you posting again. Edie is the peson I referred to in a post above who is a relative of the Estler family,

I wish you'd have let me know about seeds for the Estler one b'c I was offering fresh seeds in my annual seed offer elsewhere, but had you Pmed me from here and included a return em address we could have communicated,

Poor Edie is sick of the white stuff and is moving to Alabama, Ok, look for the ice storms and tornadoes in Alabama, ( wink)

Carolyn

• seysonn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seyson, just for comparison sake, I will be interested to hear when you harvest your first tomatoes. My MLs usually go in the ground mid-May with my first harvest about mid July.

Edie
    %%%%%%%%%%%%
    good to see you back. We like to hear fro you from Alabama, The beautiful.

I will let you and everybody know when I get a ripe red from my ML. I wish I could find your Grand Father's version too to grow side by side. Maybe next year. But I believe that the two are just sharing a name but they are two different tomatoes, in many ways.

Anyway, my ML is already planted out but due to COOL weather it is not growing yet. But hanging in there with the rest of the gang (about 20 so far).
    Our weather is about NORMAL for this time of season ( 42 to 62F, average)..

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH