Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

St.Pierre tomatoes.....from where?

User
10 years ago

Among others, I picked up some St.Pierre tomato seeds - fantastic sturdy seedlings and supposedly having some innate cold hardiness. However, I have read conflicting reports of where this originates (yep, I know this is not THAT important but for those of us who like to know....).
The common assumption is that it is an 'old French variety'.....but have also read that it originates from Hungary, St.Pierre Island (which, given it's cold hardiness, makes more sense to me) As I grow a few of these cold zone tomatoes (the vagaries of an outdoor English summer), I need to decide how many of these to plant (I always sow more seeds than I need to pick the best seedlings).
So, anyone grow these and can shed some light.
Internet chinese whispers, as usual?

Comments (9)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

I think the common explanation as to the origin is correct.

THe link below at the bottom is to Ventmarin and I have a reprinted copy of that Vilmorin catalog in which you'll find it.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/St._Pierre

See the above link for a confirmation that it's French in origin and one person even mentions cold tolerance. Note also in the above link that seeds were placed with the USDA GRIN in 1963 and has a PI number and the donor and variety origin would be IDed there as well.

Yes, I've grown it and a very good variety , not exceptional, there are other round reds I prefer, but still very good.

I've never heard of a possible Hungarian origin, so if you could give a link to that I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Ste Pierre

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mmmm, it was www.restorationseeds.com Carolyn.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

I checked that site and found many many varieties that I had personally introduced, so checked them first,and much wrong information.Which extends to other varieties as well.

Here's the description there for Ste Pierre;

(Really nice red round but slightly lobed slicer, 4 to 6 oz. fruit. Good CSA variety, ships well. The color and full flavor make it a good mid to late season market tomato. From Geza Korbely, Hungary on St. Pierre Island. Tags: Red, Season Mid, Medium, Round.)

I know Geza very well and yes he lives in Hungary and the description was poorly written b'c it should have said he GOT it from the Island of Ste Pierre.

And the island of te Pierre is in France, not Hungary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_Island

There is no Ste Pierre Island in Hungary.

Geza is a very very active seed trader and participates at many many message sites looking for trades. And has very very long lists of tomatoes that he offers in trade.

I'm no tsure why got his seeds from France, maybe one of his contacts there,maybe b'c he too knew that the variety originated in France since seeds for Ste. Pierre are available at many seed sites outside of the US as well as many here in the US:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/St._Pierre#tab=Seed_Availability

Above is the same link I gave above to Tania's page for it but this time I linked to seed availability so you could see the many many seed vendors who list it.

I do hope that clarifies this for you and that you can be more comfortable with this variety actually originating in France. ( smile)

Carolyn

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, thanks, Carolyn. Last summer was a complete 'mare for tomato growers - it rained from April to August (floods, blight, a year of NO summer) - although I had a stonking potato crop! For a few people, our only toms were from earlies, especially Matina, so I am always looking for good tasting 60-70 day varieties. Moving house as well so I am cutting back to around 50 plants this year (down from 80 or so). Will have a go with the St.Pierre (they are really looking good so far) - maybe a dozen.

• riverfarm
    10 years ago

The other nice thing about St. Pierre is that it's somewhat resistant to blights. It's usually my first standard-sized tomato to fruit and it's also the latest to produce in the fall. AND we love its flavor.

• pappabell
    10 years ago

I`m curious Carolyn,What do you consider a exceptional round red tomato,What do you prefer over this St. Pierre?

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

A sidenote (the light bulb went on in my brain):

Saint Pierre Island is part of France -- however, it's not in Europe.

It's the most populous of the Saint Pierre and Miquelon group, three very small islands off the southern coast of Newfoundland which are the only remnant of France's North American possessions (currently a self-governing territory).

This is the reason, I assume, that the OP said the variety's history on Saint Pierre Island made sense given its cold-hardiness.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/country_profiles/4562487.stm

• riverfarm
    10 years ago

The tomato isn't necessarily named for a place. A lot of varieties are named for saints or for other things. I have one tomato that I bought in France called Reine de Ste. Marthe.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Try the link below for more history, naming places for Saints, etc.

Carolyn, dealing with two feet of new snow, actually just looking at it and it's still snowing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saint Pierre