Green Grape
Kotlas
Jaune Flamme
Earl of Edgecombe
Cherokee Purple
Marianna's Peace
Gregori's Altai
Super Sioux

I would like 2 of of each but don't have enough space in my urban garden so will have to use some containers - approx 35 - 40 litres (about 10 gallon for u imperialists :)).

Anyway are any of these varieties better suited to containers?

Comments (8)

• miesenbacher
    9 years ago

You can grow any of the mentioned varieties in 35-40 litre containers. I'm assuming your in the southern part of the country. Daily watering during your summer will be required as well as adding supplemental ferts on a regular basis.
    You will need to provide support for the plants, and containers if you have windy conditions. Some of the listed varieties may get up to 2 meters and pruning may be required.

Ami

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

I wouldn't try to grow Isis or Sweet 100 in a container. They simply get too huge. But Cherokee Purple and Gregori's would do fine IME.

Most any of the others would do ok in that size. Bigger containers would be better of course but they'd do ok with careful attention to supplemental feedings and watering.

Dave

• ABlindHog
    9 years ago

I have had good results with Sioux in 10 gallon containers, Super Sioux should be similar.

• miesenbacher
    9 years ago

Here are some pictures of Indeterminate Varieties I grew under my balcony in 7 gal containers. The height of the balcony from ground level is 10 Feet. The varieties shown from Left to right are Scabitha, Stump of the World and Toms Yellow Wonder.

This will give you an Idea of how I supported my plants with the Cages attached to the top of the container. I did prune these plants on the bottom and in one case (TYW) attached poles to the cage to support the top growth.

Ami

• antipodean
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your replies!

Ami, nice setup....although i'm not sure yet. I have an area that is covered in river stone and am thinking of letting them sprawl.

Regards

• fireduck
    9 years ago

you got some good advice already....you will love Cherokee Purple if you try it. 10 gal is fine...15 even better. Very important...use a light/free draining planter mix (no moisture retaining types).

• seysonn
    9 years ago

People do it all the time, growing all kinds of tomatoes in pots/conts'. Then there is a degree of success.

I, personally would try to grow ONLY detrminant/ bush and very small indeterminants in pots. To me it is not so much the root space but managing the stability and top growth. I have seen pictures of top heavy plants in 25 gallon grow bag tipper over in a windy day.

It is not that it cannot be done, but it requires extra efforts , planning and maintenance. That is why, for the convenience of growers, they have developed all kinds container type tomato plants.

• slowrider
    9 years ago

I would do a sweet 100 in a 5 gallon pot. I am testing 3 gardeners delights in 5 gallon pots. It is just a test at this point. I am pruning to one stem and so far it is working well and the first clusters of tomatoes have set.