Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chlobell_gw

Tomato Seedlings

chlobell
11 years ago

I am new to seed starting and have some questions about the tomato seedlings that I started on April 5th. I know this is late. I started some earlier but they didn't make it so I wanted to try again. We have a long growing season here in zone 7a. I kept them covered until they sprouted but as soon as they sprouted which took about a week I took the cover off and removed the heat mat. I did this on advice that I received from this forum but I am now realizing that germination is different from sprouting and that I should have left the cover on and the heat mat until they got their first true leaves. Is this right? They are still under the grow light and seem to be growing but I am not seeing the beginning of any true leaves yet. The tomatoes are Juane Flamme. Here are my questions:

1. Should I cover them and turn the heat mat back on?
2. Our outdoor temperatures are warm now (70-80 degrees). Should I bring them outside for a few hours instead of letting them sit all day under the grow light?
3. Given that it is warm enough to plant outside now, how big do they need to be before I put them in the ground. Thanks so much. A pic is attached. These are 11 days old

Comments (2)