Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a sucker or is it just a regular branch?

Posted by simplyoranges none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 8:56

I have pulled some smaller suckers from my tomato plants already. I just wasn't sure if this was a sucker, because it is crotching out from such a small branch. I figured maybe it is just a regular branch itself. If it is a sucker, would you suggest cloning it? I only have 3 tomato plants, so I would like to have a couple more. What is the best way to get a sucker to start growing as quickly as possible.

Here a some pictures:

http://tinypic.com/r/s6hu9g/6

http://tinypic.com/r/jub7sz/6

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a sucker or is it just a regular branch?

Here is your pic (although it needs to re-sized down quite a bit). They won't load the way you have them posted.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yes it is what is called a 'sucker' if that is an indeterminate variety plant. It looks too big to be rooted easily but it's possible if it is trimmed down substantially. Smaller ones are much easier. Lots of posts here on how to root cuttings.

But it is so low on the stem I'd leave it alone as I'd rather have the tomatoes it will produce. I guess it all depends on why you are removing them in the first place.

Dave

o

Okay. Thank you. I've been removing them to try to focus all of the plants attention on vertical growth. I get quite a bit of wind where I am at and it is putting all of the plants attention toward girth and bushiness. Plus, the small ones (2-4") that I have removed have been planted so I will have some more plants. I guess I'd rather have larger tomatoes than a large abundance of tomatoes.

o

Except for rare Y-forks, all tomato branches are suckers: they start between a leaf and the main stem, and they have a growing tip like the plant's main stem. If you remove every sucker on a tomato plant, you will have a single stem.

The side "branches" with leaves are actually leaves. Each "branch" is a single compound leaf. For instance, check out WinterSown's photos of leaves from different tomato varieties. Each photo shows a single leaf.
http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Tomato_Leaf_Scans.html

The side "branches" which bear flowers and fruit are also known as "trusses." Note that flower trusses almost never have leaves (a few varieties may have a leaf at the end of some of the clusters, and there are also rare varieties which have cluster that end in a growing point, but those are even more unusual).

So again, if you remove every sucker, you'll have a single stem with leaves and flower/fruit trusses.

o

• Posted by bets z6A ID (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 14:18

simplyoranges,

You didn't say what variety of tomatoes you have. Do you know if they are determinate or indeterminate? To me those nodes between branches look pretty short, which means they could be determinate and should NOT be pruned. Also determinates will grow to a varietal height (in "optimal" growing conditions) and no amount of pruning will make them grow any taller.

Please let us know what variety you have.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ on Pruning Tomato Plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here