Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ashes from the barbeque

Posted by carissimiv PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 9:15

I cleaned out the barbeque grill this weekend and got a good amount of ashes from last year. I remember my grandfather used to add wood ashes to his tomato garden and he had great tomatoes. Can I use these ashes from charcoal briquettes? I do use lighter fluid to start the fire, but I would think that has to be gone by the time the briquettes have turned to ash.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ashes from the barbeque

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 9:38

carissimiv

Maybe someone can give you sounder advice about adding it to your garden or not, but whenever I've thought of doing it, I decided not to because of the greases from the meats dripping into the ashes. Maybe it all gets consumed by the fire but I just don't know. Just in case, I do know that I don't want animal fat in my vegetable soil!

o

I have compost piles, so that's where my ashes go. We put the ashes from the fire pit at our cabin around the base of trees. I put some ashes directly in the garden last year, didn't work out too well. Was grandpa adding the ashes in the fall? I don't think I'd do it in the spring.

o

Charcoal ash from the grill is not recommended because of all the additives not to mention the lighter fluid. Even regular wood ash use is usually limited because it can so easily turn the soil pH alkaline.

There are numerous discussions about this over on the Soil & Compost forum that you should review before making your decision.

Dave

o

I use left over wood ash in very small amounts for the potassium and a bit in the compost pile. As digdirt says it can raise the PH. Rain water and wood ash is actually a recipe for potassium hydroxide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here