Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT (but on topic, too) - Bypass valve for garden

Posted by andyinnyc 6/NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 9:23

Since the tools forum has a 'most recent post' from back in September, I thought I would post this here in the most active (and my favorite) section.

I'm looking to build a water bypass valve from PVC and parts from HD/Lowes to use with my fertilizer my tomatoes and peppers, etc.

A bypass valve splits the hose water either fully or partially and then rejoins the streams (one of the sides has a ball or other type full/partial shutoff valve) - one of my splits will have a venturi fertilizer 'pump'.

So, anyone have a parts list and directions - visually it's easy to see, but the fittings, etc. are easy to get wrong.

One side difficulty is that I want the venturi side to have a replaceable (varying) length tube with connectors on both ends since my sample ABS venturi pumps are different sizes. The venturi will connect to a fixed end (screw connectors) and then there will be a 'stub' with screw connectors on both ends - the stub will have replacement stubs such that the correct pair (pump/stub) will fit the opening.

I'm hoping to find PVC connectors that screw on - like a hose - rather than turning the ABS pump (which won't work since it needs to be connected to both ends.

My googling didn't pick up any plans or diagrams - which seems really weird since this should be an afternoon project for anyone with a PVC cutter.

Help?

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of 'standard' bypass with venturi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT (but on topic, too) - Bypass valve for garden

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 16:44

Are you trying to set up fertigation for the tomatoes and peppers? Something like this. If so then it is fertigation system plans you need to be Googling.

If not can you clarify the goal here? What will be the original source? Well, garden hose, above ground PVC water line? etc.

If this is for Hydroponics rather than in-ground fertigation then the Hydro forum has all sorts of various set-up info.

Dave

o
RE: OT (but on topic, too) - Bypass valve for garden

It is for fertigation.

I've purchased several Mazzei-type venturi units.

I need/want to build a PVC bypass valve - like the one in my original post, but I want the section where the venturi connects to allow for a 'swappable' section since the units are of different sizes.

Given that I've found howto's for PVC tomato cages, PVC furniture, etc. I'm looking for a howto and parts list (something I can shop at HD/Lowes with) for the bypass valve.

i.e. I need a ball valve for the shutoff, 1/2" PVC U splitter (it has a different name and knowing that when I walk into HD will save time), a PVC to Hose male/female? connector (that has a name too), etc.

Knowing what something is called is really helpful when shopping at HD since saying you need the 'thingamagig' doesn't create an incentive for some of the employees there.

Additionally, knowing what kind of length offsets various pieces create will help me when cutting the PVC to the (hopefully) right lengths.

I understand the fertigation, it's the measurements and parts for the bypass valve. I could spend $100 and buy one, but I'd feel more accomplishment spending $20 on parts and putting it together myself.

So, I'll post in the hydro section, but any added help from here would be appreciated.

Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here